PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country CCS Defective?

bigbadbp7
06-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I was using my CCS yellow on a hood of a Miata, and it seemed to break down rather quickly. I was only using moderate pressure and When switching pads since this one was not up to par anymore I notice the back where the pad connects to the buffer was all concaved in and didnt seem to be suck to the pad anymore. Anyone with Kind of expericne? This was my first time trying out the pads not really that satisfied. It cut great until it just caved in and was super soft if that makes sense? Feed back please
I tried to take a picture but since the backing is black its hard to get any depth to show what I am talking about. Just feels like the pad and its backing have caved in and separated. Lets face it the Hood of a Miata is not that big at all.

SRTSean
06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I was using my CCS yellow on a hood of a Miata, and it seemed to break down rather quickly. I was only using moderate pressure and When switching pads since this one was not up to par anymore I notice the back where the pad connects to the buffer was all concaved in and didnt seem to be suck to the pad anymore. Anyone with Kind of expericne? This was my first time trying out the pads not really that satisfied. It cut great until it just caved in and was super soft if that makes sense? Feed back please
I tried to take a picture but since the backing is black its hard to get any depth to show what I am talking about. Just feels like the pad and its backing have caved in and separated. Lets face it the Hood of a Miata is not that big at all.

I've had this same experience using the 4" ccs pads. I think it just occurs if excess heat and pressure build up. Can't really think of any other reason that it would happen.

RhetoricMixes
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
The CCS pads are the only ones i own and i havent encountered this problem before (although i dont have any of the yellow ones). But since SRTsean chimes in with his 4" pads maybe its just a recurring problem with some of the CCS pads?

The Pad Man
06-01-2012, 11:08 AM
When the center of the pad does concave, it is due to heat.

Buckskincolt
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Was it a new pad or had it been previously used?
Also if it was a used pad how was it cleaned and was it completely dry.
I have had similar experiences with damp pads that build heat.

bigbadbp7
06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Brand new right out of the package. I have used the Orange CCS pad with no problem and still is firm and not broken down at all. How are you supposed to limit heat? I'm Just trying to get that job done. I think after a hood the pad should still be up to par.

Buckskincolt
06-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Brand new right out of the package. I have used the Orange CCS pad with no problem and still is firm and not broken down at all. How are you supposed to limit heat? I'm Just trying to get that job done. I think after a hood the pad should still be up to par.
I agree it should be fine.
Maybe to much product? I have a lot of trouble with the CCS pads loading up but I would think it should hold up longer than a hood.
Never used the Yellow so don't know if they are more prone to this. It defenetly sounds like a heat issue. A pic would be good.:Picture:

bobble
06-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I use CCS pads all the time, I also change them frequently and clean them between changes (wet towel on 4 PCXP hold towel against pad for a few seconds). I really don't let the pads get hot, causes a lot of things the least of which would be the pad breaking down. Too much product or too much pressure maybe. What were your polish/compound choices, speed, movement and @pressure used?

Typically I use 4 pads per color per car so if compounding for example 4 orange pads, 1 hood,1 roof and trunk, 1 left side, 1 right side. Mind you like I said above haflway thru each panel I clean the pad really quickly so it does not cake up and clog the foam. I adhere to the thin, thinner, thinnest method of doing everything, multiple passes and coats thin as possible.

bigbadbp7
06-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I was using M105, some firm pressure on speed 6 on my GG6, nice steady arm speed, doing about 3-4 section passes in a area no more then 2x2. The car was swirl heavy. I dont think I was using to much product could of been. I noticed alot of dusting with M105. Is that using to much product or not enough?

Buckskincolt
06-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I was using M105, some firm pressure on speed 6 on my GG6, nice steady arm speed, doing about 3-4 section passes in a area no more then 2x2. The car was swirl heavy. I dont think I was using to much product could of been. I noticed alot of dusting with M105. Is that using to much product or not enough?

Speed 6 on a Griots is a lot of pressure just from the machine, try cutting back to 4 or 5. M105 does dust quite a bit.

Edse30
06-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I know exactly what you are saying. My first yellow and green pad got destroyed while I got the hang of it but now I don't have any issues.
My brother destroyed his first pad today in the same manner as you described. He was using way too mych pressure and just didn't keep the pad flat as he should. When I took the pad off the pcxp there was a tiny bit of smoke coming from the pad, I imagine the adhesive used to secure the velco was burning as well.
we only use 2 pads on a whole sedan but wash them often and let them air dry while working with the other.

bigbadbp7
06-04-2012, 12:58 AM
I am learning with this new stuff. I have a hood that I can test out. Ill give it a go again on a lower speed and see how it corrects. Ill update you guys on it. Ill be using my orange pad since the yellow is done.