PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a truck.

Pages : [1] 2 3

supercharged
03-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Not right now, but in the future I was planning to buy myself a truck. I have a few trucks in mind, help me make the best choice.

Number one priority is a V-8 engine. I don't want any diesel, as I'm not willing to spend an extra $7500 on engine (truck is not going to be a daily driver).

Number two will be extended cab. Not a crew cab, just extended.

Other prioritied will be dependability, reliability, and quality of ride (I don't want any sports sedan quality of ride).

I was looking at Chevrolet 1500, Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra, and Nissan Titan. I'm kinda leaning toward Titan.

EDIT: 4-wheel drive is a must.

Let's just see what others will say.

sparkie
03-27-2007, 03:39 AM
All of them you listed look nice, and really haven't heard anything bad about any of them. All I can tell you is my truck (2005 F-150) has been outstanding, rides and drives like a car. It's been a dependable, and reliable vehicle. If I had it to do all over, I would have got extended cab, maybe a supercrew. As far as the Titan, it's a sweet looking truck.

crasiman
03-27-2007, 04:06 AM
I said this in another thread, the new silverados are supposed to be great. However, to each his own. I personally like the f150s a lot, my friend has one and hasn't had anything to complain about.

supercharged
03-27-2007, 04:42 AM
EDIT: 4-wheel drive is a must.

Driven Auto Detail
03-27-2007, 06:33 AM
While I do not care for the new styling of the Silverado, I think the Sierra looks great!!! The 5.3L V8 is the class leader in fuel economy (even with the old 4-speed auto). You might wait for the '08 models when they finally put the new 6-speed auto's in them.

EPA ratings: 16 mpg / 22 mpg (5.3L V8 w/DOD)

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/518/medium/sie1.jpg

Gary Sword
03-27-2007, 06:46 AM
When I was looking at trucks I like the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra the best. I got such a good deal on the Ford F150 vs the Toyota Tundra and had to go with the Ford. I don't drive the F150 all the time but I like it and have had no problems with it. It pulls my enclosed car trailer with a car in it very nicely.

badhemi
03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
nothing like a hemi.

bambo2888
03-27-2007, 07:56 AM
In all honesty, as much as I hate to say it, the F150 is a good truck. It has average gas mileage for a 1/2 ton and its got a heck of a motor supported with a sturdy frame. The problem I see here is tha tthe current generation has been around for a few years now, while the new Tundra is brand new.

I stopped over a the dealership the other night and checked out the Tundra and it is just simply beautiful. It is sweeping the markets with its 5.7l i-force. The motor pulls hard and it has all of the ammentities for a decent price. The gas epa is also average (16-17/21-24). The ONLY thing I dont like about the new toyota is that its exterior door handles are cheesy. This was the first thing that I noticed. Other than that, the emblem that is advertising the the motor is gi-hugic! Again, these both are asthetic flaws that I see.

You will not really go wrong with any of the f150, titan, or tundra. My vote goes to the current gen. Tundra, though.

Russecu
03-27-2007, 09:20 AM
All the truck have their nice points. The new chevy looks nice but I think I am gonna wait to check out the Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins. (I know you said no diesel) My Ram 1500 w/the 5.7L hemi has been strong. The only thing I would really suggest is if you are getting an extended cab then I would go for the quad/crew cab. I love having the 4 full doors.

Whitethunder46
03-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not a huge truck fan, and I don't know much about trucks, but one truck I LOVE is the Honda Ridgeline. I don't know why, but I do.

Nuke33
03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Chevy or Toyota

Moxie
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
IMO the Chevy. The Chevy and Toyota are very close. I believe the Toyota is faster 0-60 but I just read an article in Motor Trend picking the Chevy over the Toyota by a slim margin. I am not sure which Motor Trend issue it was though.

P1et
03-27-2007, 12:14 PM
I know you mentioned that you didn't want a diesel, but I would seriously reconsider that. The milage is fantastic and you have bags of power.

And are you really paying $7,500 more for the engine? I see that a new Z71 Chevy pickup is $32K. That's more than I paid for my 3/4 ton Dodge.

Lone_Star
03-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Supercharged,
you never mention what you will be using the truck for. If you did, I totally missed it and apologize. For what its worth I own a Full size pickup and work in the auto industry. Here are my oppinions of the major players.

Chevy: Best ride among the sull size trucks. The new 2007's are good looking trucks and it seems GM has fixed some of their problems.

Ford: The true workers truck. This is the truck that is built for working. It does not have as great of a ride as Chevy, but it is not that bad. The design is a bit older but still looks aggressive. Many aftermarket parts and styling available.

Dodge: Still the most aggressive looking truck in my opinnion. Great engines, in my opinnion a middle man in ride between Cevy and Ford. The design seems really dated and too much like a Big Rig.

Toyota: Trying their darndest to get into the truck market. They are getting closer but they still are behind the American trucks. I truly don't think their quality is up to snuff yet for this new truck and would definitely wait a while if you choose Toyota until all the bugs are worked out.

Nissan: Would consider them more of a small pickup as they are not the most useful for true truck applications.

Overall if you are looking for a work horse get the Ford. If your looking for a daily driver that has a nice ride get the Chevy. I would only get the Dodge if it had a diesel but that is what you don't want. Toyota would be the last I bought because it looks like they copied the design of the front from Dodge, took the side cues from Chevy and tried to get the biggest engine to top Ford in towing capabilities. Just like the American companies are struggling to learn how to make fuel efficient economy cars, the Japanese are still struggling to learn how to make Trucks. There is a reason Ford is the best selling truck for over 30 years!

Good luck and as always this is my opinnion.

chu
03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
The TITAN is one bad truck. My bro drives an 03 Ram Hemi, and I like the Titan more. Easy to drive, has good power, and roomy. If the power isn't enough, Stillen makes a nice supercharger for it. I love that truck! Chevy would be the second choice, it gets really good gas mileage copared to Dodge and Ford...from my experience. GL!