PDA

View Full Version : Changing Waxes

07gtcs
05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
If I were to change from one Carnauba Wax to another do I need to remove the one that is already on the car? Just to make sure I know how, will a dawn wash do this or will BF TPNS do this for me or should I do both ?
Thanks,

kline39
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
if you were not to strip the previous wax, you might encounter bonding issues with the new wax and the overall look of your new wax would be comprimised. Though some people use dawn, myself and many others on here believe dawn is meant for dishes. I havent tried BF TPNS, but I can say for sure CG citrus wash or citrus wash and gloss does a great job of stripping previous waxes.

Bill1234
05-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Sometimes a different wax is good to put on if bonding is said in the instructions, I feel that if you want to strip wax, mix half car soap and half dawn. And then wash dry clay then wax

Blackthorn One
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Most of the time I do not believe that you will have a bonding issue with one wax over another. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to try it on a test spot to see how those particular waxes interact. If you want to remove the old wax, use a paint cleaner or Optimum Power Clean or something. Don't clay just to remove old wax. Claying is just for removing embedded contaminants.

RZJZA80
06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Unless the wax has cleaning agents in it, there shouldn't be any bonding issues, as wax doesn't really bond, it layers. Sealants are more bonding types than waxes, so make sure what you have is actually a wax and not a sealant, and that there are no cleaning agents in them.

Dawn washes help, but you can also IPA wipe the paint, and use an AIO to remove anything beneath it also, then wax on top of the AIO. It really depends what you are using and if it's a wax or a sealant and if it has cleaning abilities.

ScottB
06-01-2012, 08:02 PM
might be able to wipe down with Menzerna Finishing Spray ...