PDA

View Full Version : looking for OTC Pre-Wax Cleanser

Pages : [1] 2

wangotango
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Gonna clay/seal/wax my new car before weekend. hasn't had but a good wash each week since we got it in March. New paint looks great but with probly many contam's in it so figured I add a pre-wax cleanser/paint cleanser step before I seal, then wax. Only problem is now it's Weds and I need to start tomorrow for Saturday's run and my only options now are auto stores and such. There are a few places that have some Meg products and I'm looking for an OTC product that will suffice.

Or should I just clay/seal/wax and then order right product and do it next week?
Will be machine apply.

AutowerxDetailing
05-30-2012, 12:36 PM
The Sherwin-Williams automotive paint store down the street from my house has tons of stuff like paint cleaners, polishes and even some gallon jugs of Megs car wash, etc. Last time I was there they even had some M105/M205 sitting right on the shelf. I would recommend skipping the auto parts store and trying to find an automotive paint store nearby.

wangotango
05-30-2012, 12:41 PM
" automotive paint store" ...xlnt suggestion - thanks!

truckbutt
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Klean Strip Prep All - You can get it at Auto Parts Stores. I use it before I seal.
Dupont Prep Sol is also effective but harder to find. You can also use Mineral Spirits.

TimmyG
05-30-2012, 12:57 PM
A paint cleanser is a fantastic idea imo. You might be able to get the P21s cleanser from a local BMW dealer - not sure. Otherwise, I'd wait and order either the Lime prime, P21s, or Pinnacle cleanser - from AG obviously.

Your paint will thank you in the end.

TRex99
05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
I used Meg's ultimate polish on my new truck. Nice result.

wangotango
05-30-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm guessing that M205 and the rest of these are safe for OEM paint on a new car?
Not questioning, just inexperienced.

AutowerxDetailing
05-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm guessing that M205 and the rest of these are safe for OEM paint on a new car?
Not questioning, just inexperienced.

M205 is a wonderful polish. Perfect for a new car with minor paint defects. It will really crank up the gloss level for you and is super easy to work with. Great preparation before your final coat of wax or sealant.

TRex99
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
M205 is hard to find OTC, at least it is for me. UP is even milder I think, and can be found at Wally world for about $6.

mwoolfso
05-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I have used Mothers Synwax FX and Reflections product lines of their waxes. They fall under cleaner-sealant category. I can get a good 4 months from Mothers' product lines. Mother's also has Step 1, 2 and 3 as well. The Step 2 (sealant) is under-rated IMO.

habeba86
05-30-2012, 04:50 PM
M205 isnt that hard to find otc, autozone carries it.

wangotango
05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
After cruising this small town I found a place where I can get Meguires #7 show glaze and M205. There are really no paint defects other than contam's in paint I can see or can feel in hand or especially a plastc bagged hand. I think a good clay and a good polish oughta do it. trying to get as deep look of paint as possible before I seal/wax.

No nice car dealers so no nice products available thru a showroom or parts counter.

I appreciate all the input!

If I was between M #7 and M #205 ..........???

dad07
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
after cruising this small town i found a place where i can get meguires #7 show glaze and m205. There are really no paint defects other than contam's in paint i can see or can feel in hand or especially a plastc bagged hand. I think a good clay and a good polish oughta do it. Trying to get as deep look of paint as possible before i seal/wax.

No nice car dealers so no nice products available thru a showroom or parts counter.

i appreciate all the input!

if i was between m #7 and m #205 ..........???

m205.

wangotango
05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
PS - color is Sea Glass Pearl, a grean/blue towards the bluer side
the sealant I have on hand is BFWD or WG 3.0 then liquid souv wax.

bobble
05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Do they have megs 151 there? That's a true cleaner.
An acrylic based glaze works better with sealants. If it where me I'd do the M205 and seal her up with BFWD and then the next day wax. BFWD takes 12 hours to fully cure.
My cleaner of choice is DG501 which can be sourced at some Napa stores and Carquest stores.