PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar lube

hondacare
05-30-2012, 05:30 AM
I need a homemade brew lubricate for clay bar...any recipes? Dish soap and clearcoat are enemies.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using AG Online

Champ2day
05-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Some detailers clay while washing the vehicle. Wash, rinse, then lather up again and clay. I, myself, use ONR or DP RW&G wetted down using the manufacturer directions.

rider9195
05-30-2012, 05:57 AM
ONR diluted to clay lube works well.

hondacare
05-30-2012, 04:02 PM
What do you guys think about this recipe?

The clay needs to be floated across the surface of the paint on a thin film of lubricant. You can use Meguires Quick Detailer, Mothers Instant Detailer or any number of other manufacturers' version of detailer spray, but you can easily make your own lube spray for pennies per quart. Here is the recipe the pros use — people who do hundreds of cars per month:

Add 4 oz. of common rubbing alcohol to a clean 1-quart spray bottle.
You can get rubbing alcohol at any drug store or super-market and even most convenience stores. It may be labeled as "isopropyl alcohol" or "isopropanol". The cheaper 70% solution is preferred.
Fill up the rest of the way with distilled water.
Add three to five drops of liquid dishwashing detergent. No more.

erock
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
alcohol in my clay lube???? no thanks....ill stick with a quality spray detailer or dedicated clay lube.

TimmyG
05-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Meguiars Last Touch ftw. $20/gallon

BobbyG
05-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Both on the products below have many uses and clay lubricant is among them. Mixed according to their direction my guess is you could make 10 to 15 gallons from either of these never mind using them for a rinseless wash....:props:

Detailer’s Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss
Optimum No Rinse

bmwgalore
05-30-2012, 05:45 PM

- Detergent will stain trim over time, specially considering how long it takes to clay a car (1 hour)

- IPA is not a lubricant, quite the opposite actually. And if you don't remove any over spray from under the trim, it will penetrate the paint over time.

Being cheap here will cost a lot in the future.

A Chemical Guys 128oz of Clay Lube costs $22.
And mos people also use Optimum No rise for that.

Infinitiman
05-30-2012, 09:57 PM
I've used Meguiars quick detailer, Wolfgangs clay lube ,and ORN. They at all great but I have to admit WGs is the best smell I've smelt, lube is great,same with Meguiars , I have noticed with ONR it tends to catches a little so you tend use a more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blackthorn One
05-30-2012, 11:06 PM
What do you guys think about this recipe?

The clay needs to be floated across the surface of the paint on a thin film of lubricant. You can use Meguires Quick Detailer, Mothers Instant Detailer or any number of other manufacturers' version of detailer spray, but you can easily make your own lube spray for pennies per quart. Here is the recipe the pros use — people who do hundreds of cars per month:

You can get rubbing alcohol at any drug store or super-market and even most convenience stores. It may be labeled as "isopropyl alcohol" or "isopropanol". The cheaper 70% solution is preferred.
Fill up the rest of the way with distilled water.

Rubbing alcohol tends to make a mixture thinner, not more slippery, which is the opposite of what you want.
Water? definitely a part of any quality clay lube. Dishwashing detergent? No lubricity. Car wash soaps contain lubricants to prevent excess marring. You would at least start with car wash soap. I wonder if Ultima Waterless Wash concentrate with distilled water would be the cheapest you cold use that is still effective?

Claying is about preserving the finish. Don't use a cheap substitute just to get it done and damage the paint in the process. That's missing the point.

tuscarora dave
05-30-2012, 11:28 PM
I've used Meguiars quick detailer, Wolfgangs clay lube ,and ORN. They at all great but I have to admit WGs is the best smell I've smelt, lube is great,same with Meguiars , I have noticed with ONR it tends to catches a little so you tend use a more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I bought a gallon of clay lube at a local detail supply store and it smelled just like the big mint that you find laying in a urinal. Seriously!! I use ONR for clay lube for normal use and for extremely thrashed cars I've used Poorboy's World "Bug Squash", it actually works well for really nasty paint and for light paint overspray too.