PDA

View Full Version : Buyers remorse!

twahl
05-30-2012, 12:13 AM
I ordered some menzerna power gloss to try to remove some brush scratches and I'm wishing I had gone with the meguiars 105/205 combo. The stuff is as thick as tooth paste and dries and cakes up so fast I can't get it to work. Does anyone have any tips on how to use it or should I just use it as a 32 ounce paper weight and get the Megs like I should of to begin with. I'm using a yellow lake pad on a porter cable rotary. I've tried misting with water and that helps a little but also makes it sling all over. If I use it on my porter da it seems to stay workable longer but doesn't seem to hardly cut. Thanks for any help and advice you all can offer.

RhetoricMixes
05-30-2012, 01:14 AM
First off pictures would help clarify what kind of scratches were talking about. If you can catch them with your fingernail you'll more than likely have to deal with them unless you want to try and wet sand them out (which is frowned upon unless you know what your doing). I've never used power gloss but it is a DAT compound so the abrasives in the the product start out big and chunky and them as you buff they break down. Power gloss is more aggressive than m105 and it sounds like your not breaking down the polish properly before buffing off the residue. And for your problems with "slinging" that shouldn't happen at all if you primed your pads properly.

jpegs13
05-30-2012, 03:26 AM
I use and love Menzerna Powergloss. 4-6 passes in a 2'x2' area works great, it gives the product enough time to work and breakdown without drying out.
Give it one more chance before giving up on it, you'll like it and the results are amazing.

Flannigan
05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Powergloss is like rocks in a bottle. honestly I only reach for it on the hardest of the hard paint when I know I'm going to need to get some heavy cutting action. You can try it some more, or you could try and trade it for something that suits your needs a little better.

What vehicle are you working on?

BobbyG
05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Personally, Menzerna Power Gloss is one of my favorites for tackling those tough areas. Did you properly prime the pad before you began correcting?

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)
DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)

itay
05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
i like PG on a rotary, not so much on a DA, unless it's a flex.
i also found it to dry out faster than others, but as others said, it does cut very well.

don't use it on soft paints, keep it for really hard ones.

TimmyG
05-30-2012, 01:04 PM
PM sent.

Vegas Transplant
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Milled Aluminum Oxide Abrasives
Designed for rotary
Breaks down with heat

Menzerna Power Gloss, menzerna powergloss, menzerna S34A, menzerna s34, menzerna compound (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-powergloss-compound.html)

twahl
05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Thank you for everyone's help and fast response. I'm working on a 2005 f150. I has some pretty bad brush scratches and RIDS and I know I'm not going to be able to get out a lot of them but this compound is kicking my A! I've tried priming my pads like it shows in the vid but it makes it sling all over. I'm running a porter cable 7428 rotary at 2 speed. I don't have any official pad lube so I'm using meguiars quick detailer and that helps a lot but it still dries way fast. I just finished one side of the truck but it took a day and a half so I think I'm gonna try some Meg's ultimate compound on the other and then finish polish it with the menz final finish. If I use a 4" flat pad it seems to work out alright so it may be the lake yellow smart pad making it dry to quick.

BobbyG
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Thank you for everyone's help and fast response. I'm working on a 2005 f150. I has some pretty bad brush scratches and RIDS and I know I'm not going to be able to get out a lot of them but this compound is kicking my A! I've tried priming my pads like it shows in the vid but it makes it sling all over. I'm running a porter cable 7428 rotary at 2 speed. I don't have any official pad lube so I'm using meguiars quick detailer and that helps a lot but it still dries way fast. I just finished one side of the truck but it took a day and a half so I think I'm gonna try some Meg's ultimate compound on the other and then finish polish it with the menz final finish. If I use a 4" flat pad it seems to work out alright so it may be the lake yellow smart pad making it dry to quick.

Thoroughly priming the pad then adding product as you go should negate the need for pad lube....which I'm not a real fan of.

For compounding and polishing, keep the speed up to 5, this will make quite a difference. Some slinging is normal and there's no way around it. For finer polishes you can drop down to 4 but it really depends on the pad, product, and most of all the results you're seeing...

These are the pads and backup plate I use on my Porter Cable 7424

Lake Country Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)
Lake Country Flat Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)
Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)

Vegas Transplant
05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Sun or shade?
Garage? I can't fathom slinging at speed 2.

twahl
05-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm doing it in my garage in 60degree temps. Ive tried kicking up the speed to 3 and I'm getting a little better results but it's still caking up and drying to quick. I was going to try some heavy cut meguiars #4 but my stubborn streak has kicked in and I'm determined to figure it out. Thanks again for everyone's help

tuscarora dave
05-30-2012, 11:33 PM
I ordered some menzerna power gloss to try to remove some brush scratches and I'm wishing I had gone with the meguiars 105/205 combo. The stuff is as thick as tooth paste and dries and cakes up so fast I can't get it to work. Does anyone have any tips on how to use it or should I just use it as a 32 ounce paper weight and get the Megs like I should of to begin with. I'm using a yellow lake pad on a porter cable rotary. I've tried misting with water and that helps a little but also makes it sling all over. If I use it on my porter da it seems to stay workable longer but doesn't seem to hardly cut. Thanks for any help and advice you all can offer.
I didn't like how thick it was either. I got a quart once and never even finished it. After sitting in my van for a year or more it's twice as thick as toothpaste. I hated 105 until I got good at using it. For heavy correcting I look no further, especially on real hard clear.

tuscarora dave
05-30-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm doing it in my garage in 60degree temps. Ive tried kicking up the speed to 3 and I'm getting a little better results but it's still caking up and drying to quick. I was going to try some heavy cut meguiars #4 but my stubborn streak has kicked in and I'm determined to figure it out. Thanks again for everyone's help
Less is more. If it's caking up you're likely using too much. Practice using less and less until you dial in a process that works better.