PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone..First Post

Sambo1943
05-29-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a 08 Corvette (Black).My Question: What type of paint should i use to paint the (Air Dams) which are attached to the front bumper.I want to paint them gloss black to match the car.They are made of plastic (I Think).I have a rattle can of gloss black engine paint,would that work ?? ThanksFeed back please

jpegs13
05-30-2012, 03:29 AM
First of all,:welcome: I would suggest getting a can of paint specifically designed for plastics. They usually have a flex agent in them to take into account the shrink and swell in temperature changes.

Mike Phillips
05-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

I have a rattle can of gloss black engine paint,would that work ?? Thanks

If you define the word work to mean stick to the plastic for some measure of time then yes your rattle can of glossy black paint would work but it probably won't last as long as you hope or look good as long as you hope.

Kind of depends upon your expectations and what you consider a quality job.

How does your black Corvette look overall? Does it have a finish in excellent condition? As defined here,

What condition is the paint on your vehicles? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/38689-what-condition-paint-your-vehicles.html)

If you want to keep your investment low, clean the air dam really well and then tape off any adjacent areas to avoid getting overspray on them and then unload with your can of engine paint but like John posted, it won't have the chemical compatibility like a paint made for flexible plastic.

If you want to get the right paint, go to any PBE store, locate the Paint Mixer, (that's the guy that mixes paint for your local body shops), and ask him for his recommendation and he'll either steer you toward the shelf with SEM products on it or offer to mix you some custom paint and stick it in an aerosol can for you.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-30-2012, 06:13 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1313/Page37ofBook.jpg

What category would you say your Corvette's paint falls into?

:)

BobbyG
05-30-2012, 06:47 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Sambo1943
05-30-2012, 09:42 AM
# 4 & 8...Needs a good BUFF job,,.Thanks All.

Sambo1943
05-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I have a pair of new ones,so i want a paint that will last as long as possible.I have sanded them already.

RMM
05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
:welcome:
You came to the right place!