PDA

View Full Version : Best cities in FL to live?

Pages : [1] 2

bigez
05-29-2012, 11:04 PM
I've always thought about moving to FL, but not sure exactly where. I like warmer weather and hate the cold, and also have fond memories of it on family vacations, etc. Anyway, I've been starting to research it a little bit and wonder if anybody had any suggestions. Unfortunately, I would need to find a job first. I'm not looking for a super big/traffic nightmare city, but at the same time I don't want it to be really boring all the time because I am single. Although I am a little on the homebody side, so nightlife and all that is not the most important thing in the world.

Any ideas?

Jomax
05-30-2012, 01:04 AM
If you move in FL you MUST be next to autogeek and Mike or forget it. My 2 cents :)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Papa
05-30-2012, 01:28 AM
I am a 2nd gen native Floridian and am partial to the South Eastern portion of Florida, Born and raised in Broward county. Check out:Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/maps/florida_map.html) maybe the demographics, will help you to narrow it down. Lots of info to consider.

Al whole mess of my friends have been migrating up the Coast, Palm beach county and northwards. Dade county and Broward county have really changed considerably as time has gone on. Heck I moved all the way to Ohio. Good luck!

longdx
05-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Florida is great. However, it has been beatdown in the mortgage meltdown (one of the worst in the nation). It is great for a potential buyer, but one really research which area is viable. Any natives please check in

Porsche Pilot
05-30-2012, 06:33 AM
I have lived in Florida for over 30 years and spent most of my time in South Florida. It grew too much for my taste so I moved to North Florida. If you are interested in the beach then Martin County (Stuart) is a good sleeper community. The Tampa area is growing rapidly as well but Sarasota is still nice. Naples is pricey in places but nice.

The best bang for your buck will probably be in the Big Bend and Panhandle area. Destin is beautiful and Pensacola is very nice as well...also home to the Blue Angels.

Although Florida is a great State for a lack of taxes, some areas have higher property taxes than others so be sure to research that as well.

bulldog shine
05-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Punta Gorda is a great town. The Atlantic side is to crowded. Less people on the Gulf side and it is too cold farther north. When I moved here, I said I wanted to live where there are no signs that read "Bridge Freezes Before Road Surface".

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
05-30-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm a relative newbie to Florida, at the end of July I'll have been here for 3 years.

I grew up in a small logging town in Oregon, we only had one 4-way light when we moved from there to a larger city but still also a small city compared to most.

I've also lived in Irvine, Californial when I worked for Meguiar's the first year and a half before moving to the desert in Apple Valley. I've also lived in Seaside, Oregon a small fishing/tourist town and also Densmore, Washington, a suburb of Seattle and commuted to Bellvue, Washington.

I've lived in small towns and large cities and driven I-15 from Orange County to the Cajon Pass to the High SoCal Desert so I know what it's like to drive in Destruction Derby as a way of life.

That all said, I love Stuart.

It's a small sleepy town. Not a lot of people and thus not a lot of problems. The I-95 is only busy during normal busy times and thats the work commute and even then it doesn't compare to traffic in Seattle and Bellvue Washington or Southern California.

I drive a convertible year around and rarely, if ever need a coat.

Yeah... I like it here... but that's just me...

:)

swanicyouth
05-30-2012, 07:37 AM
If I lived near AG, I'd be broke.

jfelbab
05-30-2012, 08:45 AM
I can put a plug in for SW FL. I love the area around Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples. IMO, you need to get this far south to enjoy mostly warmer and dryer, 75-80 degree winter weather.

Pros:
+Excellent weather, beaches, fishing, water sports and recreational opportunities.
+Depressed home cost = terrific home buying values.
+Lots of tourism.
+Lower crime rate.
+Good schools.
+Good medical care.
+No State Income Tax.

Cons:
-Struggling economy, high unemployment.
-Population doubles or triples in the winter months so traffic can be an issue during the snowbird invasion.
-Higher insurance costs, both home and auto.
-Occasional hurricanes.
-6% state sales tax.
-Sweltering summer heat and dripping humidity in the summer.

Here is Money Magazines Best places picks: Best Places to Live 2011 - States: Florida - from MONEY Magazine (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2011/states/FL.html)

Cape Coral: Best Places to Live 2011 - Town details: Cape Coral, FL - from MONEY Magazine (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2011/snapshots/PL1210275.html)

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Cape_Coral,_Florida)

IMO, Cape Coral is a boaters paradise. CC is a city of canals. Over 400 miles of canals allow you to dock your boat in your back yard and be in the Gulf in minutes.

Attn2Detailz
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I grew up in Port St. Lucie (St. Lucie County) until I joined the military at 18 and loved it! My family still lives there and it has grown so much over the years. You are in the middle to tourist traps (Disney) in Orlando and Miami. It's a buyers market so if you are looking to buy you can get a nice house for cheap..

Flash Gordon
05-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Cocoa Beach gets my vote Welcome to City of Cocoa Beach (http://www.cityofcocoabeach.com/) :dblthumb2:

Porsche Pilot
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Cocoa Beach gets my vote Welcome to City of Cocoa Beach (http://www.cityofcocoabeach.com/) :dblthumb2:

Quick Cocoa Beach story. Back in 2003, I had to attend a work conference at the Hilton there. I got food poisoning the day before I left and my wife had to drive me down there. When we arrived, I noticed a lot of men in suits with earpieces walking around. Turns out that Vice Presidnet Cheney was staying at the hotel as well. He was staying on the floor above mine and the agents manned the elevator 24/7. Now, if you have ever had food poisoning you know how horrible it is. You can vomit without warning which is exatcly what I did in the elevator surrounded by agents. Those poor bastards.

But yes, Cocoa Beach is a quiet little beach town...until I come to visit of course.

Flash Gordon
05-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Quick Cocoa Beach story. Back in 2003, I had to attend a work conference at the Hilton there. I got food poisoning the day before I left and my wife had to drive me down there. When we arrived, I noticed a lot of men in suits with earpieces walking around. Turns out that Vice Presidnet Cheney was staying at the hotel as well. He was staying on the floor above mine and the agents manned the elevator 24/7. Now, if you have ever had food poisoning you know how horrible it is. You can vomit without warning which is exatcly what I did in the elevator surrounded by agents. Those poor bastards.

But yes, Cocoa Beach is a quiet little beach town...until I come to visit of course.

Hate to hear about that Ed. I've had food poisoning twice in my life and it was NO FUN!!!

I lived in Cocoa Beach with my crazy aunt in 7O's. My uncle was a rocket scientist at NASA

Quattro3.2
05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
It's a buyers market so if you are looking to buy you can get a nice house for cheap..

I just moved to Orlando from Cincinnati, and I am slowly getting used to it. I moved to the east side to avoid Disney and the crazy tourists, but I have liked it so far. I was able to get a brand new house built for cheap. It is great quality (thus far) and I haven't had a single problem. If you enjoy warm weather, this is the place for you.

EPK711
05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I've lived in South Florida all my life - except when I was away for my university years. You can always visit Miami but you don't want to live there (I grew up down there). I currently live in West Palm Beach and love it here. I think anywhere in Palm Beach County or southern Martin County would fit what you're looking for from a social/lifestyle perspective. Work is another story as you didn't mention what kind of work you're looking for.