PDA

View Full Version : "Glaze" Suggestion

Pages : [1] 2

BTLew81
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I have a friend/customer who has some light marring on his white vehicle. He's not looking to spend a lot, so I am thinking we will try a glaze. I've seen PB White Diamond and Glosswerkz. Wondering what your thoughts are...

Car will be topped with 845, most likely.

Thanks in advance!

Mrnoodles
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Doesnt glaze only temp hide swirls and scratches?
And if you wash the car often enough the glaze will wear off and scratches and what not will reappear again?

BTLew81
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm very aware of the above. He is looking for a cost effective solution. Sealed with a good wax, this should give some decent longevity.

KenR
05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I would think that whatever was applied on top of the glaze (in the case cited above, 845) needs to be worn away first.

bmwgalore
05-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Poorboys white diamond is by far the best glaze for white cars, it really makes the white pop!

Topped with Con.845 or FK1000p will last a long time.

Mrnoodles
05-29-2012, 01:20 PM
But the thing is... if only hides the swirls and imperfection.
What's the point of using it...
Even through 845 has good durability, it will still wear off one day... and the glaze will wear off as well...

BTLew81
05-29-2012, 01:21 PM
How is white diamond for hiding? I've seen some posts that Glosswerkz is great. If WD is similar, that's an easy choice.

bmwgalore
05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
But the thing is... if only hides the swirls and imperfection.
What's the point of using it...
Even through 845 has good durability, it will still wear off one day... and the glaze will wear off as well...

Really?
So let's say you compound and polish your car every other month to remove swirls.. Eventually the clear coat will get very thin (let's say 98 microns) to the point you can't polish it anymore... What do you do? Keep polishing? Nope, you glaze it!

Do you own black cars? I do, good luck polishing that every 2 days...

Glaze has a solid place in the detailing world, and will ALWAYS have.

Mrnoodles
05-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Man i dont know about the thickness of paint or own a paint gauge...
Sorry im still beginner in this type of thing...

But what happens if the clear coat gets to very thin?

bmwgalore
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Man i dont know about the thickness of paint or own a paint gauge...
Sorry im still beginner in this type of thing...

But what happens if the clear coat gets to very thin?

It's game over... The client will have to drive around with the base coat showing and looking awful, OR get a repaint, and that can cost a LOT of money..

When it comes to daily drivers, glaze is always a good option until you have time (or money acording to his client) to get a proper polish job.

Danathin
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I used BF's glaze. It also worked as a paint prep to remove all old waxes and the polishing oils. I was happy with it.

RMM
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Doesnt glaze only temp hide swirls and scratches?
And if you wash the car often enough the glaze will wear off and scratches and what not will reappear again?

On its own, a glaze will wear off in a very limited amount of time. But properly sealed, will last as long as the top layer lasts (and this top layer, reapplied often can last indefinitely...).

So...
Glaze alone: no.
Glaze topped: adds good looks and really lasts as long as the top layer is maintained. And for low budgets it is a cost-effective way to go (if the deffects are not that severe).

silverfox
05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Glazes are very practical. You simply cannot correct paint over and over. Glaze technology has come a long way especially the acrylic based glazes. Some even have UV protection and won't wash off. My favorites are Wet glaze 2.0 (nothing else like it...can be topped with any wax or sealant and can be applied OVER any LSP. Glossworkz is a fantastic filler and looks awesome under Blacklight

bmwgalore
05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
How is white diamond for hiding? I've seen some posts that Glosswerkz is great. If WD is similar, that's an easy choice.

They are both great.

The Poorboys can be applied in the sun, goes on and off super easy.

Haven't tried Glosswerkz yet, but the reviews are good!

RMM
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Glazes are very practical. You simply cannot correct paint over and over. Glaze technology has come a long way especially the acrylic based glazes. Some even have UV protection and won't wash off. My favorites are Wet glaze 2.0 (nothing else like it...can be topped with any wax or sealant and can be applied OVER any LSP. Glossworkz is a fantastic filler and looks awesome under Blacklight

Exactly: for thin paints they are a very handy tool...
That Wet Glaze 2.0 looks very promissing: because of you I have read about it and it seems quite amazing (and odd also: applying over the LSP is something unheard of). Too bad I haven't found it here in Europe yet.
Glossworks is very nice indeed. But won't Black Light remove it?