PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do a side by side wax comparison?

hollerstiltner
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
I've wondered if anyone has done it but can't seem to find it if they have. I'm wondering if someone is friends with a dealer or people who own identicle cars. Then they simply detail each car but use a different wax on each and see if we can tell a difference. I'm thinking something like Max Wax v/s Soverien.

I saw one person post pics of the same car on different days but I think it'd be hard to do a comparison like that due to lighting. I'm also thinking this would be a great poll too. See who all can guess what is what.

Anyone think they could pull it off?

RMM
05-29-2012, 07:43 PM
That has already been done on a large scale.
Google the following: Dave KG Big Wax Test Detailing World.
It's an old thread but it shows the difficulty in picking the best looking LSP.

ScubaCougr
05-30-2012, 08:29 PM
FWIW, on December 1 I did the hood of my daily driver with Poorboys PWC, UPGP and Colinite 845 in 3 equal sections after polishing. Decided on Memorial Day that all 3 products were spent and re-waxed.

During the 6 months, I noticed no difference in gloss or durability. Car was rinseless washed 1-2x per month during the period, garaged at night, exposed to elements including lots of tree sap during the day. I estimate the beading was about 20% of what it was new.

I will freely admit though, my eyes are not nearly as well calibrated as Cee Dog and other Ninja review masters elsewhere on the board. FWIW, YMMV, etc. etc.

swanicyouth
05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
My current thinking is its more ease of use and durability than looks that differentiate waxes. I don't know if someone could tell the difference between MaxWax and Concorso on an equally prepped car. Maybe some of the color infused waxes like Dodos and Victoria Concours may be distinguishable, but who knows? Ease of application is pretty important to me, as I want waxing to be enjoyable and there is nothing that says a wax that is hard to apply looks better. It's a real interesting topic with little objective data.

hollerstiltner
05-31-2012, 06:17 PM
I never Knew anyone had done a test that large. The results mirror exactly what you guys say too. I don't have a lot of experience with many different waxes, but I've noticed some look a little different than others. I was really wondering if something like fuzion compared to a cheaper wax made a huge difference in appearance. Then again, I doubt my newb eye being able to tell a big difference.
After reading the comparison, I'm thinking collinite is a lot better than ppl give it credit for. Maybe I'll get to do my own test one day.

bean66
05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Interesting, I just put colonite 845 on one side and Pinnacle Sovereign on the drivers side. I try post back here after a few weeks.

bean66
06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Here are some pictures for you, let me know what you think.
4star upp. (on about 3-4 weeks)
Washed and waxed with Colinite 845
Test vehicle is a grey 2002 F-150.