PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Bug Removal

waterloomarc
05-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm using Bug Squash to get the bugs off the the front of my new car and it works pretty good on getting the majority off. It certainly smells better than the stuff I used to use. But the problem I'm having is that it still leaves a residue where the bug was. I call it a hologram - like the bug has been imprinted into the wax or paint.

What should I do to get rid of this? I haven't pressed too hard as I'm afraid of damaging the paint. I don't want to wax over it and make it harder to remove either.

Should I use a different product? Something else after the BS?

Thanks for the help... My first new car in 8 years so I'm trying not to F it up too fast ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rider9195
05-28-2012, 04:50 PM
What dilution are you using Bug Squash at? What type of wash media are you using? Hoe long are you allowing the Bug Squash to dwell?

waterloomarc
05-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Diluted at 3 to 1, using just a cheapie microfiber cloth. I let it sit for at least 30 seconds, longer if possible (horizontal or vertical). If that doesn't work I reapply and rub some more.

rider9195
05-28-2012, 06:17 PM
The 3:1 dilution ratio is safe for current sealant or wax. Sometimes I have a bottle of Bug Squash non-diluted and spray that on. It will degrade your wax more than the 3:1 dilution, but it isn't a big deal. Just follow up with a spray wax. Now for getting the bug remains you may want to get a bug sponge, like the one Autogeek carries. Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad can be used on glass, chrome, vinyl, fiberglass, paint and clearcoats—100% safe when used with soapy water. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html)
Just be sure to soak it in water for a couple of minutes before agitating the bugs.

Infinitiman
05-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I use the 1z product bug and tar remover, I let it sit 1-2 minutes and then use Tuf shine scrub all no scratch spong, no problems. How long have bugs been on the surface? Insects are very acidic so if they set for to long they can eat through the surface and damage it, then it will need to be polished out.

BWG707
05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I've found that whether the bugs are fresh or baked on you need to go over the areas at least twice.

SON1C
05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Has anyone tried cgs bug wash?

A-train
05-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Has anyone tried cgs bug wash?

I have tried it. It's works well. I just ordered a 32 oz of PB bug squash to try it out. If I'm not overly impressed that's what I'll go back to.

waterloomarc
05-29-2012, 07:55 AM
The bugs, at longest, have sat for a week but I keep the car in the garage most days. The problem I'm having this time is a weekends worth of bugs that sat for a week while parked at the airport in the sun. I wouldn't have thought that would be too long. But it certainly seems like it was.

I'll pick up one of the sponges mentioned above but it certainly seems as though I've got the surface stuff what's left can't be gotten off with a finger nail either. I sure hope I don't wind up having to polish already.

I guess the moral of the story is wipe the bugs off every night huh ;)

07gtcs
05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I got the Diamonite Bug remover and the Pinnacle Bug Sponge and took off week or so old bugs with no issue. Just remember most Bug Removers remove your LSP, so you'll need to redo that.