PDA

View Full Version : First True Detail

dbustrum
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Completed my first true detail yesterday. I'll try to post some pics soon. I finished at night and then it drizzled this morning. I'll probably wipe it down with some Pinnacle Crystal Mist when it stops raining and then post some pics. Process:

Rims & Tires - WG Tire & Wheel Cleaner, OXO Tire Brush, Black Shmitt
Wash - WG Autobathe, foam gun, white yellow shmitt, clean water bucket/grit gaurd
Dry - Leaf Blower, Ultimate Guzzler
Polish - XMT 1, Blue Edge 2K pad, followed by WG finishing glaze, white Edge 2K pad
Wax - Souveran Paste
Cobra Super-Plush Deluxe Microfiber Towels used throughout
Glass - Stoners with a cobra microfiber glass towel followed by NTS7 glass shield on the exterior

I had used WG Tire Gel two weeks ago and they still looked great, so I didn't even put a new coat on. That stuff is amazing. My dad actually asked me what I used on the tires after I was done and I told him that I used WG Tire Gel two weeks and one wash ago. Needless to say he's going to need a bottle.

The Souveran is amazing (This is my first time using it). I have a black metallic paint and it brought out a green pearl I never knew I had. It looks great.

I do have one question though. I had some very minor swirls that I could only see in the sun. Maybe about a centimeter in length. I'll try to post pics of these too, but I'll have to see if I can still see them in direct sun after my detail. I can't see them under halogens only in direct sun. I noticed them after washing and before polishing. I messed around with a bunch of different polish/pad combos and couldn't notice any change. (I have XMT 1,2, & 3 and the Edge 2k kit with 5 pads) I'm also using a PC 7424. I didn't see any difference with any combo. This is the first time I polished though. The paint is in really good condition so I finally decided to just polish with the Blue Edge and XMT 1 because I could achieve the results I wanted.

My question is: does anybody know if the paint is hard or soft on a BMW? Maybe I should be working the polish longer? and do you have any polish/pad suggestions?

I know pics will help and I'll try to post them. maybe I just need more practice, but I watched all the videos multiple times amd spent a month on this forum before attempting to polish. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nuke33
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
For the minor swirls a pic would help! I cant wait to see your pictures!

sparkie
03-26-2007, 10:09 PM
:Picture:

nick19
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Check out this link.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/4984-new-users-pc-7424-users-must-read.html

XMT #1 should have gotten them out. Now try XMT #2.

Gary Sword
03-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Would love to see pictures, lots of pictures.

supercharged
03-27-2007, 02:48 AM
:Picture: :Picture:

Nica
03-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Really looking forward on seeing your pictures, as far as the BMW having a hard CC...I've never really heard Toto (he's the BMW expert because BMW's are he’s specialty) complain about the clear being hard. Then again he makes it look so easy removing swirls from the BMW's...keep your eyes out for a guy named Toto, hope he joins in and shares his opinion.

Well not much help from me but really looking forward to the pictures and don't worry about being new to the PC or detailing. Oh yea bout the small little swirls, I had the same thing too and I "jeweled" the paint with white Edge 2K pad and XMT #1. I found this helped me get rid of some of the minor little swirls. I too noticed them in the sun light only oh and once you put your glaze (I used XMT Glaze wicked stuff :righton: ) and the Souveran the swirls disappear....well at least that's what I've noticed.

FloridaNative
03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds great. Can't wait for the pics. Be careful cleaning the car after the rain. You can have dust and dirt on there that can marr the finish. I'd go with a product like Spray and Wipe.

dbustrum
03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
It has been overcast here so I haven't been able to get my car into direct sunlight. No matter what kind of light I get it into, I haven't been able to see them since Sunday. Hopefully I took care of them. (I doubt it).

ScottB
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
OH my gosh ... I need bifocals !!