PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong?

boatmangc
05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Tried a different method on my car before a car show this weekend.
Wash, clay, Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion, Poorboys Black Hole, then Nattys Blue.
When I finished I found it was hazy and left streaks when polishing off the product.
I tried QD+ on a small area and found it made it worse.
Walked away overnight. Next morning I tried the QD+ on another spot, same thing as the day before.
I had a show to leave for in 1/2 hour so did a quick ONR and it was passable.
When I got to the show I ran my duster over it and left streaks again.
Wiped it down with a MF misted with ONR. walked away grumbling.
Later in the day (full S. Fl. sun) it seemed to settle down.
I drove it home and haven't had the heart to touch it.
Too much product?
Paint cleansing lotion and Black hole don't play well together?

truckbutt
05-28-2012, 08:39 AM
I've never used the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, but from the description, it is a glaze with oils and fillers. You are using two glazes on top of each other, the Pinnacle and the Black Hole. I'm guessing that that is your problem. Also, you didn't follow up claying with any abrasives to correct any marring left by the clay. Perhaps that left your paint a little hazy as well.

Mike Phillips
05-28-2012, 08:51 AM
At this point, you need a way to recover and get the paint back to a clear finish.

What polishes do you have on hand?

:)

boatmangc
05-28-2012, 09:51 AM
I've never used the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, but from the description, it is a glaze with oils and fillers. You are using two glazes on top of each other, the Pinnacle and the Black Hole. I'm guessing that that is your problem. Also, you didn't follow up claying with any abrasives to correct any marring left by the clay. Perhaps that left your paint a little hazy as well.

That was my thoughts, I didn't realize that the Pinnacle product had fillers in it until this morning, I ASSUMED it was more of an AIO rather than a glaze.
The car really didn't need claying and my swirl finder didn't really reveal anything new after claying.
The car is ready for a minor correction but I didn't have time and thought I would hit it with Black Hole, throw a quick topcoat on it and go.

boatmangc
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
At this point, you need a way to recover and get the paint back to a clear finish.

What polishes do you have on hand?

Menzerna twins, sonus triplets, Poorboys ssr2.5 & ssr 1.

Oh well it was due for a light correction already. I am not one who usually uses a glaze but thought for a quickie I would try it.
i just didn't realize I was using 2 glazes.
I got the Pinnacle product as a free sample on my last order and took the name Paintwork Cleansing Lotion literally, I always read the instructions after something goes wrong. :laughing:

Mike Phillips
05-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Place a tape-line down on the paint and work on only one side of it and by doing this you'll be able to quickly tell if what you're doing is helping or hurting.

Test out the Menzerna polishes with a polishing pad, follow the least aggressive product philosophy and you should be able to restore gloss and clarity without any problems.

Mike Phillips
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
We are talking about your Mercury Marauder correct? This one?

Here's Gary aka boatmangc and his very pristine Mercury Marauder polished to a show car finish!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1035/Marauder01.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

boatmangc
05-28-2012, 10:18 AM
We are talking about your Mercury Marauder correct? This one?

Here's Gary aka boatmangc and his very pristine Mercury Marauder polished to a show car finish!
:xyxthumbs:
Aye Captain! It was my MM.
It wasn't that bad before I started, I was just anxious to try new products!!
Self inflicted wounds hurt the most! LOL.