PDA

View Full Version : What a great day - UNTIL........

Pages : [1] 2

Bates Detailing
05-28-2012, 01:44 AM
A new guy drops a 2 month old cyclo polisher into the lake :bat:. Yep, Its at the bottom of the lake - Im starting to get irritated.

RhetoricMixes
05-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Say what? Please tell me that he's gonna pay you back for that somehow.

Bates Detailing
05-28-2012, 02:15 AM
Well - Tyson wanted to make him pay for it, I was a bit more on the side of S*** happens - so we met in the middle and he is going to pay for half of it. We have two and use them both all day everyday, which hurts us pretty bad having to wait for another one to come in. He said he slipped on the dock and it was either him or the polisher going in. A true detailer would have pushed the polisher to safety I think lol - I would have been more than happy to buy him a new polo and shorts :/

Jomax
05-28-2012, 02:42 AM
I would've jumped in for the polisher, but If I had to chose polisher or me into the lake i would chose me( we're water proof) if I had my phone on me, polisher), phone costs more:) make your guys strap the polishers to their pants.:)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
05-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Yes, some sort of safety tether seems in order in this instance. Should be pretty easy to find since it's something that roofers etc. would use. I googled "tool safety tether" and came up with some hits.

Darn Yankee
05-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Yes, some sort of safety tether seems in order in this instance. Should be pretty easy to find since it's something that roofers etc. would use. I googled "tool safety tether" and came up with some hits.

This is a good idea. In the Army we called them Dummy Cords. We tied off anything that was classified or we did not want to stay out in the field for. Nods, laser sights, etc. Only problem here would be getting the Dummy Cord Caught up in the rotary as we used 550 Cord to tie off with. It is a Parachute cord (very Strong). It could take out the slack very quickly and pull on whatever you have it tied to, Arm, Leg, Waist, LOL

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

BobbyG
05-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Anthony,

Did you recover the polisher?

The reason I ask is several years ago during a hurricane my basement was flooded with about 1 foot of water or better. My Porter Cable 7424 sat submerged for at least 2 days.

Like you I was devastated but was done was done, the only thing I could do was to dry it, blow it out with compressed air and let it sit for several days in the house...

Once the unit was thoroughly dry I switched it on and it's working to this day... :props:

Flash Gordon
05-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Anthony,

Did you recover the polisher?

The reason I ask is several years ago during a hurricane my basement was flooded with about 1 foot of water or better. My Porter Cable 7424 sat submerged for at least 2 days.

Like you I was devastated but was done was done, the only thing I could do was to dry it, blow it out with compressed air and let it sit for several days in the house...

Once the unit was thoroughly dry I switched it on and it's working to this day... :props:

:iagree: Plug it in and check it out before you toss it. If it doesn't work, look for an Armature store near you and I'm sure they can repair it if in fact it is damaged

When you go back to the jobsite, push that employee into the lake and make him walk home. Tell him you'll see him tommorow as you drive off

tuscarora dave
05-28-2012, 07:51 AM
If you can recover the polisher from the bottom of the lake, I suggest tearing it down and spraying liberally with CRC 2-26. CRC 2-26 is a special lubricant/cleaner that's non flammable and displaces moisture while also leaving behind a sealant to prevent further problems associated with moisture.

At the place I used to work for we had a 4" water main break inside the building over the weekend. When we came in Monday the process pit was filled with 12 feet of water covering several 5, 7 and 25 horsepower 3 phase electric electric motors and all the 3 phase switches associated with such motors.

We purchased replacement motors for some of the stuff that was under water and used CRC 2-26 to displace the moisture from the rest of them. Of course we tore them all down and blew them out with compressed air before applying the CRC 2-26 to displace the rest of the moisture. All the motors we dried out worked fine at start up and are still in service a few years later.

Here's a link

Seal Out Moisture in Electrical Equipment from CRC Industries (http://www.ferret.com.au/c/CRC-Industries/Seal-Out-Moisture-in-Electrical-Equipment-from-CRC-Industries-p19767)

TimmyG
05-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Personally, I would give the guy that dropped the polisher a break - especially if he is a decent employee. Sucks to take a loss here, but this guy has to feel pretty bad about this in the first place. You could use this situation as a morale booster to your team - take something positive from it. Maybe sit all of your guys down for a shift meeting and talk about safely operating detailing equipment.

tuscarora dave
05-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Personally, I would give the guy that dropped the polisher a break - especially if he is a decent employee. Sucks to take a loss here, but this guy has to feel pretty bad about this in the first place. You could use this situation as a morale booster to your team - take something positive from it. Maybe sit all of your guys down for a shift meeting and talk about safely operating detailing equipment.
I like the way you think TimmyG. In every perceived problem, lies an opportunity for personal or professional growth. A good workforce morale will pay off in more ways than just monetarily.

TimmyG
05-28-2012, 09:38 AM
I like the way you think TimmyG. In every perceived problem, lies an opportunity for personal or professional growth. A good workforce morale will pay off in more ways than just monetarily.

Thanks Dave.

Maybe all those leadership classes I took in college have actually paid off! Anyways, I agree completely with your assessment. B&B can actually spin this unfortunate event into a positive. You can stress the importance of work safety to your crew and put emphasis on working safely. Draw up some guidelines that you expect your crew to follow, and just as important, dedicate yourself to following them as well. Maybe take your guys out to lunch and discuss some things that you'd like to see changed or improved. No names need be mentioned, speak to them as a team. Increased awareness on the job isn't going to hurt you, that is for sure.

ziggo99
05-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Yeah, there might be a chance to get it out of the lake. If he was working on the boat by the dock, the water probably isn't that deep, and it probably sank like a log, given the weight of the Cyclo. And it being metal, it should be easy to pick up via metal detection or sonar.

Sucks for now though.

Flash Gordon
05-28-2012, 12:16 PM

I thought pushing the guy in the lake anmd making him walk home would be a gret morale booster for everyone

http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/PHPBBSmilies/shifty.gif

bmwgalore
05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
I thought pushing the guy in the lake anmd making him walk home would be a gret morale booster for everyone

http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/PHPBBSmilies/shifty.gif

Yup, I'd do the same.