PDA

View Full Version : I Put on Opticoat 2 or did I?

RandyD
05-27-2012, 02:30 PM
I put Opti-coat 2 on my new SUV about two weeks ago. I thought I did a good job for the first time. I watched a lot of videos on youtube and read numerous posts on instructions. I live in Florida and understand that it will cure quicker in the heat. I wiped any streaking lightly after applying and used the right amount for one car. My problem is how do I know the product worked? I have used so many waxes and sealants in the past but I don't feel the slickness. Water will bead and sheet well but could that just be because this is a new car?. They did not wax it when I purchased it and I washed it with Dawn (David from Optimum said this was sufficient and I didn't need IPA). I felt inside the door where there is no Opticoat and it doesn't feel much different than the outside of the car. As a detailing enthusiast with Obsessive Compulsive Detailing Disorder, what do I do? I am almost tempted to use poliseal at this point or another AIO.

Thanks

sohail99
05-27-2012, 02:58 PM
A bare clearcoat wont bead water at all!!

Opticoat doesn't particularly feel slick like a wax or sealant but rather feels grabby! If the water is beading off of the paint, OC is protecting it!

timaishu
05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
If it is beading, then you should be good.

I had an issue with my opticoat. It bonded to the hood fine, but not my roof. My hood kept beading, but my roof was not beading. A very big difference between how they handled water.

Rsurfer
05-27-2012, 03:06 PM
That's the only negative thing I have about OC, it doesn't have the slickness that most sealants have. Maybe Dr. G will come out with OC3 that is super slick.

Rsurfer
05-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Did you find out why, or did you correct the problem?
If it is beading, then you should be good.

I had an issue with my opticoat. It bonded to the hood fine, but not my roof. My hood kept beading, but my roof was not beading. A very big difference between how they handled water.

Jomax
05-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Does cquartz feel more slick?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

CEE DOG
05-27-2012, 06:01 PM
OP,

If it's beading then it is there.

Does cquartz feel more slick?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Neither Opticoat or CQ is super slick like wax.

Apply Reload over the top to enjoy a slicker feeling while still enjoying all the benefits of the coating.

timaishu
05-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Did you find out why, or did you correct the problem?

I hope so. I talked to chris and he came to the conclusion that I may not have removed all the polishing oils from M205. I duplicated the same process I did on the roof on my hood, except I use optimums polishes and it seems to be bonding fine.

I re-did the roof yesterday and I went wayyyyyy overboard in my prep process to make sure absolutely nothing was left.

swanicyouth
05-27-2012, 06:25 PM
OP, I know where your conning from. But, it's there. Another thing you will notice is that OC stays cleaner longer and will shed dirt easier with water. In fact, rain seems to remove some dirt if the car stays parked while it's raining. You really notice this effect on wheels. Once you OC your wheels they will look cleaner longer, clean up faster and easier, and will shed more dirt just from spraying water. I top OC with Optimum Spray Wax. I'm still testing the durability, but many spray waxes now apply so easy you apply them which each wash.

Rsurfer
05-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Prep before LSP is the most important step IMO.
I hope so. I talked to chris and he came to the conclusion that I may not have removed all the polishing oils from M205. I duplicated the same process I did on the roof on my hood, except I use optimums polishes and it seems to be bonding fine.

I re-did the roof yesterday and I went wayyyyyy overboard in my prep process to make sure absolutely nothing was left.

RandyD
05-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone. I am now convinced it's on there because it rained yesterday and it is beading. It is also true that the car has been looking cleaner longer as swanicyouth said.