PDA

View Full Version : wax stains

cam68
05-26-2012, 10:21 PM
How do I remove wax stains from my Line-X bed liner ?
Thanks

davidc11291
05-26-2012, 11:03 PM
APC (all purpose cleaner) and a scrub brush or rag. Purple Power would be my choice for something you can pick up locally. You will need to dilute it, anywhere from 10 parts water and 1 part Purple Power, up to as strong as 50/50. Put 10 oz of water in a squirt bottle and 1 oz of PP to start. Spray it on, let it sit and dissolve the wax for 1 min or so (but DON'T let it dry), then scrub it and rinse it off really good. If it's hot outside and it starts drying too fast, just keep it wet by occasionally hitting it with another squirt. If 10 to 1 isn't working after you try a little section, add another oz of PP. My guess is that the best mix will be somewhere between 10 to 1 and 10 to 3. Just remember, PP specifically says on the bottle not to use it on the painted surfaces on a car, so as you're doing this, have a wet rag in a bucket of water so you can wipe off the areas where it drips down the side of the truck. You'll want to wipe them as soon as they start, otherwise, it'll leave streaks down the side that won't wash off, but they will come off with a little polishing. After you're done cleaning the bedliner, make sure you rinse it and the surrounding painted areas really well with the hose. If you do end up with any streaking down the sides of the bed, use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a foam or microfiber applicator to buff them off. That'll fix it right up, then just go back and re-wax.

cam68
05-26-2012, 11:11 PM

David,
Thank you very much, I am new to detailing I learnt the hard way, I will try PP.

cam68
05-26-2012, 11:12 PM
David,
Thank you very much, I will try what you have said.

davidc11291
05-27-2012, 12:07 AM
You're welcome. There are other APC's that are more automotive friendly, meaning they're specifically designed for automotive care, can be diluted and used on interiors, and are safe for exterior paint, but I figured you wanted something that you didn't have to buy a whole gallon of, and could pick up cheaply at any local store. If you're interested in really learning how to detail your vehicle, this is a great place. You can learn the major no no's that you need to avoid so you don't accidentally damage anything, and then you can either learn the basics of keeping a nice, clean car or go all the way into detail show car perfection mode. Whatever your goal, the info is here. There's a guy here named Mike Phillips. He's on the staff at Autogeek. He used to work for Meguiar's and actually created their online forum. He knows his stuff. There's a clickable link in his sig (I think) that lists a gazzilion articles he's written, and their all organized by topic. Fastest way to get a grip on the basics would be to read his articles. He also has a book that you can buy here for something like 15 or 20 bucks. I've got it. It's good. It covers how to care for the exterior. It sums up all the important info into 1 book. Just getting into detailing, reading the book is much quicker than spending hours and hours pouring over tons of threads and articles and digging through the search feature. The guy has like 3,000 posts or 4,000 posts or something, and in all his stuff I've read, never once have I read something that made me say, "this guy is an idiot." If I wrote that many words on ANY subject, every day I'd have a new person thinking I'm an idiot, lol, but seriously, if you wanna learn about detailing, read his articles, or get his book (or both). He really is an expert, and many people who detail cars are nowhere near experts. I'm not an expert, but I'm smart enough to use the search feature A LOT, and ask questions and listen to the answers. There's also a lot of other guys and gals here who are true experts. As a general rule, if you want to pick out the real experts here, look for people who have been here at least a year or 2, have owned their own detailing business for at least a year or 2. Now before anybody gets pissed off at me, there can be plenty of experts that just signed up and have 1 or 2 posts, and I can think of SEVERAL members here who are not just experts, but 9th degree black belt experts or whatever and they don't own a business. I'm just saying that the easiest way for a noob to pick out people who really know their stuff would be to find people who have been here for a while (so they've had time to learn all the knowledge) and who also have owned a detailing business for a while (that way, you know they've had time to practice and perfect that knowledge).

Lastly, don't get overwhelmed, and don't miss the forrest for the trees. A lot of us here are really crazy into detailing. Identify your goals. Do you have a car that you want to stay in a constant state of show-car perfection? If you drive it every day, it ain't gonna happen. Or do you want your daily driver to be nice, clean, shiny, and look better than everyone else's you know? You don't have to spend $1,000 and 10 hrs a week keeping your car in a constant state of perfection (unless you want to). Don't miss the forrest for the trees.

IID
05-27-2012, 02:43 AM
APC (all purpose cleaner) and a scrub brush or rag. Purple Power would be my choice for something you can pick up locally. You will need to dilute it, anywhere from 10 parts water and 1 part Purple Power, up to as strong as 50/50. Put 10 oz of water in a squirt bottle and 1 oz of PP to start. Spray it on, let it sit and dissolve the wax for 1 min or so (but DON'T let it dry), then scrub it and rinse it off really good. If it's hot outside and it starts drying too fast, just keep it wet by occasionally hitting it with another squirt. If 10 to 1 isn't working after you try a little section, add another oz of PP. My guess is that the best mix will be somewhere between 10 to 1 and 10 to 3. Just remember, PP specifically says on the bottle not to use it on the painted surfaces on a car, so as you're doing this, have a wet rag in a bucket of water so you can wipe off the areas where it drips down the side of the truck. You'll want to wipe them as soon as they start, otherwise, it'll leave streaks down the side that won't wash off, but they will come off with a little polishing. After you're done cleaning the bedliner, make sure you rinse it and the surrounding painted areas really well with the hose. If you do end up with any streaking down the sides of the bed, use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a foam or microfiber applicator to buff them off. That'll fix it right up, then just go back and re-wax.

Excellent advise David.

To cam68,if you have a chance try OPT Power Clean as your APC.You can dilute to use it on all exterior/interior of your vehicle.From cleaning wax stain's to cleaning leather and it does both safely and effectively.
It's available from 17oz bottles up to gallon jugs :xyxthumbs:

davidc11291
05-27-2012, 05:34 AM
IID- Thank you very much. I spend 99% of my time here listening to advice, and rarely give it, so I really appreciate that compliment.

Cam- He's right. OPC (Optimum Power Clean) is very popular with a lot of people here. Many say it's the best. I've never tried it, though. Meguiar's APC+ (the orange stuff, not the green) is very popular too. It's probably more widely used here, because it's significantly less expensive. When I did a lot a research on which APC I wanted to use, from everything I read here, I got the feeling that a lot of people thought that OPC is the best, and Meg's APC Plus is a close second and significantly less expensive.

BobbyG
05-27-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi David,

Bed liners are tough, real tough, and it all purpose cleaner doesn't get it all off try some mineral spirits found at any local hardware store....

davidc11291
05-27-2012, 06:06 AM
High Bobby. You know it's early in the morning when you forget who the original OP was :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
05-27-2012, 06:08 AM
High Bobby. You know it's early in the morning when you forget who the original OP was :xyxthumbs:

HA!! It is early David.... I was reading your replies and addressed my post to you!! :doh:
I'm having coffee now which should help!! :props:

davidc11291
05-27-2012, 06:28 AM
I like the new avatar. Now if we could just get that Corvette changed to black.... :D

BobbyG
05-27-2012, 06:30 AM
I like the new avatar. Now if we could just get that Corvette changed to black.... :D

I got yellow so I don't lose it!! :laughing:

davidc11291
05-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Actually my favorite colors for sports cars are yellow and black. I love a blacked out car, and I've always been drawn to yellow, too.

Gotee7
05-27-2012, 11:05 AM

Me too!!

cam68
05-27-2012, 08:26 PM
I would to thank everone for these great and quick responce I am going to order the book from Mike Phillips, I do have alot of questions.
Again thank you all.