PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting started

dnobel
05-26-2012, 06:38 PM
I am preparing to correct the paint on my light gold 2008 Highlander and need some help with a strategy.

Overall, the clear coat is essentially swirl-free and smooth, with almost no fine scratches. Aside from a couple of spots that need touching up, the most noticeable defects are several shallow scrapes, evidence of close calls in the parking garage; most of these appear to have scuffed the clear but not penetrated down to the pigment or primer. One of these is about a half inch wide, very shallow, and about two feet long, extending across the middle of both passenger-side doors.

I was planning to start out with the GG6 DA and the Wolfgang twins. I will be able to choose from a selection of LC flat pads and will also have both the Optimum MF pads on hand.

Were it not for these few scuffs and scrapes, I figure I could easily get away with going right to the Wolfgang Finish Glaze 3.0 or even just the WGPPE. As it is, my guess is that rather than started out the usual way by doing a test section and then proceeding section by section, I should tackle each scuffed area in turn until it looks like I've done the best I can with each. Then I would proceed with the Finish Glaze applied panel by panel.

Would this be the correct approach? Before I get started, should I have a more abrasive compound than the WGTSR around just in case, e.g. Megs UC? (I will also have Optimum Hyper Compound on hand, but I don't know where that is on the cutting spectrum.) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Tiger
05-26-2012, 07:45 PM
The Optimum Compound latest version and their cutting pad will do as good as anything short of M105 IME.

Robert8194
05-26-2012, 08:55 PM
The Optimum Compound latest version and their cutting pad will do as good as anything short of M105 IME.

And its a heck of a lot easier to use than 105. I've gotten to where I only use 105 with surbuf for headlights or removing serious scratches or paint transfer.

Old Tiger
05-26-2012, 08:59 PM
And its a heck of a lot easier to use than 105. I've gotten to where I only use 105 with surbuf for headlights or removing serious scratches or paint transfer.
My fellow Tiger Robert is spot on!

Robert8194
05-26-2012, 09:17 PM
My fellow Tiger Robert is spot on!

See you can teach us old dogs new tricks. Happy Memorial Day Jim. Hope you have a great one.

dnobel
05-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks, guys! Another question on the same car: How do I handle the parallel raised ridges on my roof (see the attached photo)? Should I be doing those by hand? I only have 5.5" pads, no smaller pads with small backing plate.

dnobel
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
No replies to the add-on question above, so I'm moving it to its own thread.