PDA

View Full Version : Collinite Confusion

M Porter
05-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Some questions about Collinite. On here some people swear by it, others swear at it.
I am not certain if anyone can help me with my confusion. Perhaps I should be posting them directly to their site. Anyway here goes:
1)- Why do people use 845 instead of 476? If 476 is more durable, wouldn’t it make sense to use it instead. I’ve read that 476 is harder to remove if you wait too long. Just curious, why wait too long? Also they have it rated as a 6 for ease of use. For anyone that has used it, what makes it so hard to use?
2)- Also people have used 845 on everything from windshield to trim. Then why is 476 not recommended on rubber, black trim, vinyl, glass or non-painted plastic?
3)- None of their pre wax cleaners (or cleaner-wax) are recommended for dark clear coated cars? Why is that?

Sorry for all the questions. This is an amazing site, but it seems that more I read, the more confused I become.
Mike

mwoolfso
05-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Based on what I know and have heard across the universe:

1- 845 applies faster to apply then 476; and a little product goes a long way
2- 845 is not known to stain trim; 476 may stain certain types of trim. Collinite does not recommend using any of their products on trim for that matter.
3- You will have to ask Collinite; their decision. It is what it is.

Railroad
05-26-2012, 09:35 AM
I've used 845 and it's paste twin 476S on plastic and rubber trim with no
problems. F150 SuperCrew with black textured mirror housings and door
handles and never a problem.

BillyJack
05-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Based on what I know and have heard across the universe:

1- 845 applies faster to apply then 476; and a little product goes a long way
2- 845 is not known to stain trim; 476 may stain certain types of trim. Collinite does not recommend using any of their products on trim for that matter.
3- You will have to ask Collinite; their decision. It is what it is.

X2 on everything said here, but I'll add a few comments: 1) I prefer paste waxes myself, but liquids are easier to dispense on a pad, thereby making them easier to apply by machine. 2) If I was a wax manufacturer, I'd state the same recommendations just to avoid complaints. That puts you at your own risk if you choose to experiment. I've found that applied properly, (super-thin and wipe-on wipe-off immediately) 845 works on about every exterior surface I've tried, except tires. I even use it on pebble-grained plastic as long as the texture is shallow. It outlasts any liquid protectant I've ever used.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
05-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Just to echo what has been mentioned...yes, 476 lasts longer than 845, but 845 is easier to apply, that's the reason why you would pick it over 476. As far as the trim, I use both on trim, but it's a lot easier to get buildup/residue in textures/crevices when using a paste, rather than a liquid. As far as the dark colors, apparently there are some abrasives in the cleaners/cleaner waxes...so of course they are swirling your light colored paint too, you just can't see it. Wait--Collinite makes cleaners/cleaner waxes for CC cars? I thought those products were for SS paint only (that's certainly the only ones I've used).

RMM
05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
As far as the dark colors, apparently there are some abrasives in the cleaners/cleaner waxes...so of course they are swirling your light colored paint too, you just can't see it. Wait--Collinite makes cleaners/cleaner waxes for CC cars? I thought those products were for SS paint only (that's certainly the only ones I've used).

They are made especially for single stage paints (all colours) but for clear coat paints you can use them on light colours. Is it because of swirling issues? Probably.

FUNX650
05-26-2012, 03:23 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/collinitebrochure.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/46936)

:)

Bob

rider9195
05-26-2012, 03:34 PM
I use 845 on trim all the time. Just be sure to wipe off completely and not let it sit on the trim for long.

M Porter
05-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Seeing as I am from Northern Canada I was thinking of using 476 as my winter wax. Obviously I will have to make my mind up before then. I am new to detailing, so I apologize for the rookie questions. Would I be wrong in assuming that all pre-wax cleaners have abrasives in them?
Mike