PDA

View Full Version : Dr Colochip at which step to use?

Spiney
05-26-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm going to be performing my first correction, then detailing on my black 96 SVT Cobra soon. My box of goodies came from AG. At first I thought they forgot the DR Colochip or I did. Then I remembered its shipped separately from the mfg.
So where in the Clay, Correction , Polish, Seal, and Wax process do I fix the road rash and nicks? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

BobbyG
05-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Hi Dave,

I've never personally used this but I would think you'd use it after the finish is wash and clayed. My guess is the paint needs to bond as well as possible and for that to happen then sealants, oils, and waxes must not be present...

brian45acp
05-26-2012, 09:41 AM
So far I love the kit. I used it once and did very well with it. The second time I tried using a bit more paint to really level out the chips and it was much much harder to work with and remove the excess. I think thin is best and maybe a second layer or 3rd will work best vs going too thick the first time.

I thought I read on here that its the last thing you should do then not wax or rub on that area too much for about 30 days.

timaishu
05-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm going to be performing my first correction, then detailing on my black 96 SVT Cobra soon. My box of goodies came from AG. At first I thought they forgot the DR Colochip or I did. Then I remembered its shipped separately from the mfg.
So where in the Clay, Correction , Polish, Seal, and Wax process do I fix the road rash and nicks? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Wash > clay > compound/polish > IPA or some other wipe down to remove oils from rock chips > color chip > wait one week then seal.

Gachrid
05-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Wash > clay > compound/polish > IPA or some other wipe down to remove oils from rock chips > color chip > wait one week then seal.

Can the car just be washed and rinsed again after compound then touch up paint?

timaishu
05-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Can the car just be washed and rinsed again after compound then touch up paint?

The reason I put a wipe down procedure in is because the paint might not bond well if there is a compound stuck in the chips. I suppose you could maybe mix in some APC in the wash solution. Or just spray some diluted apc on the chips you plan to fill and then wash.

But I personally like the wipe down. Takes less time than washing again.

Gachrid
05-26-2012, 04:21 PM
What product do you use for wipe down?

timaishu
05-26-2012, 04:45 PM
I always heard that isoproyl alcohol diluted to 15% works great.

But I had a bad experience where it did not seem to remove all the polishing oils when I opticoated as it didnt bond.

So maybe doing both a wash with APC mixed in and a wipe down would bet best to make sure all the oils are gone.

Gachrid
05-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Hmm. Ill have to figure our how much APC to mix in then.

erobertson
05-26-2012, 06:39 PM
If you want to polish or wax before paint touch up either of these products can be used to clean just the repair area prior to paint application:
Wurth Clean-Solve
Griot's Garage Paint Prep

Careful use lets you have that shiny vehicle and good surface for touch-up; almost as good as Christmas. Let your repair cure for several days (some say 30) and then you can apply small amount of wax / sealant to blend in the repair area. Next time you do a multi-step process use less passion over the repaired area to prevent removing the touch-up paint. Little practice and light touch and it will be difficult to find the repair.

david79z28
05-26-2012, 08:14 PM
I don't use DR Colorchip but I always spot clean the area I am going to touch up w/ wax and grease remover.

I do this about 4 weeks before I plan on detailing the vehicle.