PDA

View Full Version : Buying a backup DA

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan R
05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I've already had my PC die on me in the middle of correction. Had it repaired fairly quickly under warranty but I'm now always worried its going to happen again.
So...if I already have a PC should I stick with another or get a Griots?
Looking for opinions from users who've used both machines.
Thanks!

Ryan R
05-25-2012, 10:09 AM
In addition...i'd like to stay away from the warranty discussion because I'm already aware of that part.
My biggest concern is power and effectiveness compared to the PC

BobbyG
05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
If you're skeptical of buying another Porter Cable give the Meguiar's unit a try....or a Flex 3401....:props:

Ryan R
05-25-2012, 10:15 AM
If you're skeptical of buying another Porter Cable give the Meguiar's unit a try....or a Flex 3401....:props:

the flex will come soon! This is a side thing for me but it's been picking up alot. Almost like two full time jobs now and if I keep getting 3-4 one step corrections a week then I'm going for the flex.
Haven't done much research on the meguiars

Ryan R
05-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Stupid question but the LC backing plates and 5.5 flat pads i use for my PC are just as compatible with the griots and meguiars unit,correct?

atoy
05-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Stupid question but the LC backing plates and 5.5 flat pads i use for my PC are just as compatible with the griots and meguiars unit,correct?

Yes

Ryan R
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes

As I thought. Told ya it was a stupid question lol

swanicyouth
05-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I would get the Griots. That way you'll always have a DA that's under warranty.

Ryan R
05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I've narrowed it down to this...I already have the PC so it's either the megs unit or the griots.
The megs unit is quite appealing to me but my main concern is not hearing as much about this as I do the griots.
Anyone use both the megs and the griots that could give me an opinion?

Ryan R
05-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Well not too much feedback here but after more reading and research, and I trust Bobby's recommendation so I'll be placing my order for the Meguiars unit

RMM
05-26-2012, 06:15 PM
I already asked this question on another thread but I will ask it again (sorry...):
Aren't Griot's Garage 6", EZ Polisher 880, Meguiar's G110v2 all made by the same Chinese manufacturer (Mshine) and essentially the same machine?
If this is the case and if Griot's gives you lifetime warranty, go for it!

Old Tiger
05-26-2012, 07:56 PM
In addition...i'd like to stay away from the warranty discussion because I'm already aware of that part.
My biggest concern is power and effectiveness compared to the PC
The GG has much more power than a PC. I would go that way.

Old Tiger
05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
I've narrowed it down to this...I already have the PC so it's either the megs unit or the griots.
The megs unit is quite appealing to me but my main concern is not hearing as much about this as I do the griots.
Anyone use both the megs and the griots that could give me an opinion?
If you want power go with the GG. If you want ease of use go Megs. You have to bear down to stop the GG. I had to mark my Megs BP to be sure I dont stop the pad.

Old Tiger
05-26-2012, 08:06 PM
I already asked this question on another thread but I will ask it again (sorry...):
Aren't Griot's Garage 6", EZ Polisher 880, Meguiar's G110v2 all made by the same Chinese manufacturer (Mshine) and essentially the same machine?
If this is the case and if Griot's gives you lifetime warranty, go for it!
IME the GG is much more powerful than the Megs.

Ryan R
05-26-2012, 08:42 PM
If you want power go with the GG. If you want ease of use go Megs. You have to bear down to stop the GG. I had to mark my Megs BP to be sure I dont stop the pad.

Ok cool. Thank you. I was hoping for an opinion from someone who's used both. Appreciate your input