PDA

View Full Version : Between 3401VRG or DA apater w/ Flex PE14-2-150. Help! Urgent!!!

Pages : [1] 2

DaC
05-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Guys I sold my GG 6" ROP and want to step up to a flex.
I really want to go to a PE14-2-150 but I don't feel enough confidence to use it... I've never used a rotary.

I also wanted a lot to have a DA, because it's safer for me to use it...

Question is.... Buy a PE14-2-150 and use a DA adapter or to buy the 3401 VRG ? :hungry:

01GMC
05-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Guys I sold my GG 6" ROP and want to step up to a flex.
I really want to go to a PE14-2-150 but I don't feel enough confidence to use it... I've never used a rotary.

I also wanted a lot to have a DA, because it's safer for me to use it...

Question is.... Buy a PE14-2-150 and use a DA adapter or to buy the 3401 VRG ? :hungry:

I would vote 3401 VRG. I recently picked up mine, and have been VERY pleased with it. I have the PC & Dewalt 849. It does take a little to get used to from the direct drive feature, however, with the quick change plates, you have a great option of different size pads avaliable.

IMO, you will get much more overall support from the 3401 VRG on your project(s), vs a sand alone PE14-2-150 with NO DA on hand.

DaC
05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
But what about these DA adapters for rotary ?
Do they work well ?
Because I can get 2 in one with these...

Also, how is vibration any noise from the 3401 vrg againt the PCXP ?

01GMC
05-24-2012, 05:05 PM
But what about these DA adapters for rotary ?
Do they work well ?
Because I can get 2 in one with these...

Also, how is vibration any noise from the 3401 vrg againt the PCXP ?

I don't have any experince with the adapters, so I can't help there.

Downfall is I would see the ability to finsh with a rotary is very tricky. I know Mike has a topic on that, it might be a good read for you if you haven't already.

The 3401 VRG to me (my opinion) is like a rotart in a DA body if that makes sense. As for the vibrations, they both vibrate, however, the 3401 VRG to me have a more balanced vibration. Feels more controlled vs the PCXP.

Upon my first use with the 3401 VRG I was hooked, and us it alot. However, a draw back unlike the PCXP, you can't hold the 3401 VRG with one hand unlike you can on the PCXP at times. Or atleast I can't and wouldn't run the risk.

Danube
05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Just go 3401, you can't go wrong with this beast.
;-)

DaC
05-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Just go 3401, you can't go wrong with this beast.
;-)

So you have both.... right ?
One thing that attracts me to the PE14 is that is seems to be much more easy on yourself.... much less vibration... much less noise..... am I right ?

SonOfOC
05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
I have both, but go with the 3401 if you were to choose ony one.

DaC
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
I have both, but go with the 3401 if you were to choose ony one.

why ?

BobbyG
05-24-2012, 05:59 PM
I would stick with the Flex 3401. It's a powerful polisher with forced rotation which IS a big deal when it comes to correction efficiency....:props:

DaC
05-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I would stick with the Flex 3401. It's a powerful polisher with forced rotation which IS a big deal when it comes to correction efficiency....:props:

BoB... one thing that really bothered me with the GG 6" ROP was vibration..... how does the flex 3401 compares on this matter ?

ScottB
05-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Danube
05-24-2012, 06:15 PM
So you have both.... right ?
One thing that attracts me to the PE14 is that is seems to be much more easy on yourself.... much less vibration... much less noise..... am I right ?

You are right, but you need a DA to finish hologram free after rotary, so go 3401 or both, whichever suits you the best.

BoB... one thing that really bothered me with the GG 6" ROP was vibration..... how does the flex 3401 compares on this matter ?

It does have a lot of vibration, but kills swirls/scratches in no time. Its noisy too, but who cares, earplugs are there to be used.

:nomore:

BobbyG
05-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Unfortunately all dual action polishers vibrate, it's inherent to this design. I've never personally used a Griot's polisher but I have the Porter Cable 7424 polisher..Last weekend I used both for about 4 hours and the vibration although not extreme was noticeable....

If vibration is the reason you're thinking about switching to a rotary then I can tell you they vibrate much less however it takes some time and practice to create a flawless finish with one...

If you've never used a rotary they're different in the way they operate and can be somewhat of a challenge until you become comfortable with one...

Mark (ZEE BEST) has both and maybe he can add to the comparison.....

Danube
05-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I agree, PE14 is smooth and quiet comparing to 3401 .. but again, if you want a perfect finish > a DA is the must in my opinion.

DaC
05-24-2012, 06:28 PM

:dblthumb2:

You are right, but you need a DA to finish hologram free after rotary, so go 3401 or both, whichever suits you the best.

It does have a lot of vibration, but kills swirls/scratches in no time. Its noisy too, but who cares, earplugs are there to be used.

:nomore:

Well... yeah... earplugs do the job... :dblthumb2:

Unfortunately all dual action polishers vibrate, it's inherent to this design. I've never personally used a Griot's polisher but I have the Porter Cable 7424 polisher..Last weekend I used both for about 4 hours and the vibration although not extreme was noticeable....

If vibration is the reason you're thinking about switching to a rotary then I can tell you they vibrate much less however it takes some time and practice to create a flawless finish with one...

If you've never used a rotary they're different in the way they operate and can be somewhat of a challenge until you become comfortable with one...

Mark (ZEE BEST) has both and maybe he can add to the comparison.....

Let's shout for Mark to see if he shows up! :wave:

Well... I'm pretty much sold to the 3401....

Now.... 5.5 or 6.5" pads ? 7/8" low profile or 1-1/4" ?

I know these matters a lot to the Griot's but would it to the Flex 3401 ?