PDA

View Full Version : what pad to use with AIO

lawrenceSA
05-24-2012, 07:08 AM
So I have a mini detail coming up this weekend. The customer just wants their car to be 'shiny' and so I am thinking of using an AIO

I currently have some Meguiars cleaner wax and was wondering what sort of pad is best to use. In my 'stock' I currently have some LC Orange CCS pads the Green finishing pads.

I will be using a DA and would also appreciate some guidance on what speed to use.

Thanks in advance.

mjlinane
05-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Do a test spot. Start least aggressive. If it finishes down the way you want, stop. Otherwise step up.

rider9195
05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Do a test spot. Start least aggressive. If it finishes down the way you want, stop. Otherwise step up.

:iagree:

wysiwyg
05-24-2012, 08:21 AM
So I have a mini detail coming up this weekend. The customer just wants their car to be 'shiny' and so I am thinking of using an AIO

I currently have some Meguiars cleaner wax and was wondering what sort of pad is best to use. In my 'stock' I currently have some LC Orange CCS pads the Green finishing pads.

I will be using a DA and would also appreciate some guidance on what speed to use.

Thanks in advance.

For daily drivers which live outside, I use the LC orange pads. With XMT 360 AIO, it finishes very nicely and has a decent cut.

I did a daily driven SUV recently which had swirls, scratches and water spots. I used a Griot's DA and XMT 360 with LC orange pads. My speed varied from 5 - 6 depending on the amount of correction needed. Topped with Optimum Spray Car Wax (it's so easy to use I use it like a QD). The vehicle is a daily driver which had never been waxed or polished.

Sorry for phone pic, it's all I had at the time.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/7184210038_1abf8b1456_b.jpg

tuscarora dave
05-24-2012, 08:38 AM
On most vehicles, after doing a test section I end up using an orange light cutting pad if I'm using the Flex 3401, Microfiber cutting disk if I'm using a traditional DA and a foam finishing pad if I'm using a rotary. It is all dependent on the initial test section which can change from one vehicle to the next and change again if parts of the vehicle have been repainted.

Bigbull2984
05-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I always thought the LC orange pad might be too aggressive for a AIO. But I guess I will have to try this now.

bobble
05-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I tend to start in the middle when doing the initial test spot, my AIO of choice id DG 501. I start with a white pad, do my test usually one of the worst panels I can see, and adjust from there. 75% of the time I stay on the whites.

RhetoricMixes
05-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I only use the white CCS pad for my AIO's. If they want more correction they will have to step up to another service IMO. And as far as what I use its usually Meguiars Cleaner Wax, easy to use and gives good results. Ive been looking inot D300 lately though so you should consider it also.

silverfox
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Polishing paint involves several factors...machine, paint type, backing plate, pad, polish/compound, and technique (pressure, arm speed, pad changing). You can have the perfect pad and polish combination, but still get less than satisfactory results...so the answer to this question is....IT DEPENDS.

Test, test, test..any of the AIO that AG sells will produce good results. Everybody has a favorite combo. Mine is CG Blacklight using a DA/ 5.5" HT tangerine or crimson pad, adequate pressure, slow arm speed, and set to speed 4-5.

Another nice combo is Optimum GPS with their new MF polishing pad. This combo has nice correction ability (more than BL) but not as much gloss or bling effect.

lawrenceSA
05-25-2012, 04:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys - much appreciated.

Detail_Dude
05-25-2012, 06:46 AM
I only use the white CCS pad for my AIO's. If they want more correction they will have to step up to another service IMO. .

:iagree:

Everybody has a favorite combo. Mine is CG Blacklight using a DA/ 5.5" HT tangerine or crimson pad, adequate pressure, slow arm speed, and set to speed 4-5..
:xyxthumbs:

LuxuryMobile
05-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Polishing paint involves several factors...machine, paint type, backing plate, pad, polish/compound, and technique (pressure, arm speed, pad changing). You can have the perfect pad and polish combination, but still get less than satisfactory results...so the answer to this question is....IT DEPENDS.

Test, test, test..any of the AIO that AG sells will produce good results. Everybody has a favorite combo. Mine is CG Blacklight using a DA/ 5.5" HT tangerine or crimson pad, adequate pressure, slow arm speed, and set to speed 4-5.

Another nice combo is Optimum GPS with their new MF polishing pad. This combo has nice correction ability (more than BL) but not as much gloss or bling effect.

:iagree: Great post!