PDA

View Full Version : How many oz of Dawn?

Pages : [1] 2

snellvilleauto
05-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Hey AG Peeps,

How many oz of Dawn dish soap and how many oz of Opti Power Clean APC do you use in a 16oz foam gun to remove old waxes?

Also do you use only Dawn in your soap bucket to wash it?

I used .5 oz of Dawn +.5 oz of Opti APC to foam the SUV.
I then used 1 oz of Chemical Guys GlossWorkz Paintwork Cleanser as a soap media to wash it.

The damn paint still so smooth.

robovalzuniga
05-24-2012, 12:12 AM
From what I understand dish soap, is for dishes. I use Chemical Guys Citrus wash for de-wax along with a claybar session.

1. Citrus wash
2. Clay bar if needed
3. Citrus wash, if clay barred.

If I want to remove everything and start again.

snellvilleauto
05-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Will pick up one of these on Friday order :)
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss

don't need to clay since i recently did it. It's just i have so many different waxes and sealant that i wanna try out. It's flavor of the week you know.

I did end up using this...BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish w/ the DA and then top it w/ this...LACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection x2.

Did i do it right?

mwoolfso
05-24-2012, 06:22 AM
I'll use 1-2 oz. in 4 gals. of water. In my way of thinking even if I get 90% of the protection layers off the paint, the clay and polish steps will take care of everything I could possibly have missed.

sportscarhiatus
05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
I never use Dawn.

If I need to strip, I either use Citrus wash, APC, or clay, or a combination of all 3. I rarely have to strip tho, because my final lsp's are usually glazes or soft waxes (on top of sealant bases), which means they wear out on their own, quite quickly which is fine with me.

Bert31
05-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Will pick up one of these on Friday order :)
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss

Are you planning to use Chem Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss as your weekly maintenance wash also? Or only when you want to strip your LSP? If only as an LSP stripper, you may want to use Citrus Wash or Citrus Wash and Clean because they do not leave the "Gloss" on your paint after washing and claying. The Gloss doesn't hurt anything but I just like to work with bare paint when I detail. However, if you plan to use the Citrus Wash and Gloss as your maintenance wash, not need to buy both, just use the Wash and Gloss as your LSP stripper also.

I did end up using this...BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish w/ the DA and then top it w/ this...LACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection x2.

Did i do it right?

While i have never personally used Blackfire, that sounds like the combo you would want.

Waxy
05-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Dawn is for washing dishes not automobiles.............

Perfections
05-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Dawn is one of the cleanest rinsing soaps made leaving no film or residue on the paint, and as long as your not using it everyday on your car your going to be fine. I use 2oz dawn 2 oz power clean. Because of the power clean make sure it doesn't dry on the paint.

TimmyG
05-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Dawn is for washing dishes not automobiles.............

And you are welcome to your opinion but I know several accomplished detailers that use dawn all the time to strip lsp. It's cheap, has fantastic lubricity and it simply gets the job done.

Alvin
05-24-2012, 08:03 PM
strange that someone would ask this question. Two weeks ago I done a white dodge ram that had not been clean in a long time, the first thing that i done was got my wash bucket and a bottle of dawn blue dish soap four gallons of warm water and two oz. of dawn. and it worked just fine, i don't do it all the time but in this case it needed to be stripped.

FUNX650
05-24-2012, 08:22 PM
-No Dawn, ever!...

-It's Ivory Liquid for me...it makes the water....wetter. :)

BTW...
The act of washing with ANY product will take a little bit of your LSP off. That is what it's designed to do!
LSP's will slowly wear off to keep contaminates from embedding in your paint. Every time you wipe, wash, rinse etc your car, you strip some wax.
IMHO...It's going to happen no matter what you use. And,
Claying and polishing will take care of the rest of the LSP.

:)

Bob

swanicyouth
05-24-2012, 08:41 PM
I found what worked for me was CG Citrus W & G diluted 1oz per gallon, then while the panels is still wet, use Griots Paint Prep:
http://img.tapatalk.com/445449b6-e127-9f89.jpg

GPP is completely clear and has a chemical smell. I expected it to have IPA in it, but it doesn't smell like IPA at all. You spray it on a clean slightly damp cool panel, and gently "wash" it in with a MF towel. Then rinse well, and all LSP was gone (no beading on panel started with compared to others). I took about half the bottle to do a smaller car, so it's not the cheapest method, but it's meant for paint and it works very well. I've tried Dawn in the past and found it only worked OK, not great. You could also use Sonus APC 30:1, I've tried that and it works as well. The keyis to use it when you wash, do one panel at a time and don't let it dry on paint. I tried the CG Citrus W & G alone to remove LSP, and it also works just OK by itself. The Griots PP is an awesome product to use to clean off any LSP if you don't need to polish or clean the paint. It removed fairly fresh Menz Powerlock, topped with P21S 100% PC, topped with Optimum Spray Wax.

pho_shizzle
05-26-2012, 04:42 AM
And you are welcome to your opinion but I know several accomplished detailers that use dawn all the time to strip lsp. It's cheap, has fantastic lubricity and it simply gets the job done.

And you are also welcome to your own opinion of using Dawn dish washing soap detergent as a car shampoo, but what he stated is fact. Dawn detergent is not formulated to be used on vehicles, stated on dawn's website itself. The manufacturer has already warned consumers not to use Dawn this way. Whether someone uses it for automotive purposes is strictly their choice and opinion. Now whether dawn is harmful to the paint, is it not a short term cause, but a long term cause.

oilslick
05-26-2012, 05:57 AM

:iagree: I agree. As long as it works and does no harm to the paint, use it.

Waxy
05-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Quality automotive polishes will remove old sealants, & waxes. Blackfire is one example.