PDA

View Full Version : New Ford F-150 - UPGP ??

Larry S
05-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Hello all,

I know someone will know the answer to this. My son just bought a new F150 Black metallic, also has like a carbon fiber decal on the side and around the truck.

I want to put UPGP on this right away, can I put it over this decal too? Will it make decal gloss or shine? The decal is a matt carbon fiber, looks like.

Thanks,
Larry

Is Cquartz the same kind of product?

CEE DOG
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Larry, CQ is not the same kind of product as UPGP but I wouldn't recommend it for this application. There are a few things you can use though. Pm Flannigan and ask him what he uses on his matte vinyl wrapped cube.

I forwarded your pm to Rick to be sure. I also sent you the answer back via PM but will post here also in case others are looking for the answer in the future.

Rick Vaal of Premium Finish Care:

Corey, not knowing enough about that decal material and the glue used to adhere to surface,  I would recommend using the Ultima Quick Detailer to protect because it would be the safest method being water based and would maintain the matte finish.  Until I can do further research and testing I would feel better not using UPGP.  Most likely it would not be an issue but never want to take a chance without 100% knowing.   I do have many customers using UPGP on carbon fiber parts for years and works extremely well but have not had a decal experience.

Thanks!!!

Larry S
05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi Larry, CQ is not the same kind of product as UPGP but I wouldn't recommend it for this application. There are a few things you can use though. Pm Flannigan and ask him what he uses on his matte vinyl wrapped cube.

I forwarded your pm to Rick to be sure. I also sent you the answer back via PM but will post here also in case others are looking for the answer in the future.

Rick Vaal of Premium Finish Care:

Corey, not knowing enough about that decal material and the glue used to adhere to surface, I would recommend using the Ultima Quick Detailer to protect because it would be the safest method being water based and would maintain the matte finish. Until I can do further research and testing I would feel better not using UPGP. Most likely it would not be an issue but never want to take a chance without 100% knowing. I do have many customers using UPGP on carbon fiber parts for years and works extremely well but have not had a decal experience.

Thanks!!!

Ok then, my next idea is Four star UPP. What are thoughts on this? Probably my next best on a brand new vehicle. of course claying first, you never know how long and where it sat outside. Oh, and Crapro eraser after that and then 4*UPP.

CEE DOG
05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Larry, I'm hesitant to recommend anything on the decal portion as I haven't tried anything like it on that type of material.

You can definitely use UPP or UPGP on the rest of the vehicle. After looking at the picture I bet UPGP is safe on it but I'm pretty sure it will add gloss. That is only my opinion and if the manufacturer didn't say do it then I wouldn't. You could always try a test spot but that still doesn't answer the long term effect question.

Let's get some more feedback from others. Anybody have experience with LSP for these matte wrap materials? I think there's a CG product for it. I'll ask Dave to check this thread.

UPGP you could certainly apply right up to the edge of the wrap with no fear of residue but if you use UPP or any other sealant I would stay at least 1/4" from the edge so you don't get any residue on the border.

Eraser will work well on the painted surfaces for sure. It's probably fine on the wrap as well but I would not risk it without consultation from the maker of the wrap material.

Flannigan
05-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Hey guys. I have tested a few products on my matte black wrapped Cube. Cg meticulous matte detailer is a great cleaner and they say it adds some protection, but I can imagine its much. The best lsp I have found that doesn't add gloss is swissvax opaque. It's pricey but it works great.

If that isn't an option another product iced tried that works well is opti coat. It's permanent and doesn't add any gloss at all and then you won't need to worry about reapplying it.

I'm on my cell now so I can add some more details when I get back to a computer. Hope that helps!