PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking over my friend's detailing business!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

HotWhipT/A
05-23-2012, 07:09 PM
My day job is suppose to be trading stock, but I'm just starting out and taking it slowly, especially in this choppy market. I've been working with my friend part time. He owns his own detailing business and has built up a good amount of clients over the last 4 years.

So he gets a call from a very wealthy client of his and wants to hire him full time at 60K a year! That's kinda hard to pass up. This client has a warehouse of cars and is always getting new ones, not to mention he has his own race team and several records. Unfortunately my buddy will have to move a few hours away and doesn't want to just give up his business and let down his clients. This is where I come in. I'll be taking over his business for the most part. It's going to be more like a partnership. He'll be leaving his shop, van, and detailing supplies with me. He's also going to be paying for the gas and supplies I use. He'll get 40% of all the money I pull in. I won't really have any business expenses and I can still day trade when I'm at the shop! I'm pretty excited! I have the skills and knowledge, but I also have a 4 year business degree to really take his company to a higher level.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a great opportunity or what?

timaishu
05-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Sounds awesome! Congrats to your and your friend. :)

Flash Gordon
05-23-2012, 08:48 PM
My day job is suppose to be trading stock, but I'm just starting out and taking it slowly, especially in this choppy market. I've been working with my friend part time. He owns his own detailing business and has built up a good amount of clients over the last 4 years.

So he gets a call from a very wealthy client of his and wants to hire him full time at 60K a year! That's kinda hard to pass up. This client has a warehouse of cars and is always getting new ones, not to mention he has his own race team and several records. Unfortunately my buddy will have to move a few hours away and doesn't want to just give up his business and let down his clients. This is where I come in. I'll be taking over his business for the most part. It's going to be more like a partnership. He'll be leaving his shop, van, and detailing supplies with me. He's also going to be paying for the gas and supplies I use. He'll get 40% of all the money I pull in. I won't really have any business expenses and I can still day trade when I'm at the shop! I'm pretty excited! I have the skills and knowledge, but I also have a 4 year business degree to really take his company to a higher level.

I've heard this song and dance before. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't pan out. Plus 60k split 60/40 doesn't leave much if it will require all of your time

A-train
05-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Sounds like you will have the best of both worlds! Will you be able to handle it all yourself or do u have guys that will be working for you? Congrats on the opportunity !

Infinitiman
05-23-2012, 08:53 PM
As I heard it stated " the only ship that won't sail is a partnership
" but I do hope this does work.

Rsurfer
05-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Did he say anything about splitting 60K?
I've heard this song and dance before. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't pan out. Plus 60k split 60/40 doesn't leave much if it will require all of your time

Flash Gordon
05-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Did he say anything about splitting 60K?

The areas in bold may help answer your question. Especially the area in Red

Danathin
05-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Good luck man sounds like a good opportunity. Also, I think you misread Flash. His friend is making 60k at his new job, the current detailing profit will be split 60/40 but with all expenses paid and all the initial startup costs covered and a solid client base already built it seems like a nice deal. Just make sure you can perform to the same quality as your buddy and you'll do great!

Flash Gordon
05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Good luck man sounds like a good opportunity. Also, I think you misread Flash. His friend is making 60k at his new job, the current detailing profit will be split 60/40 but with all expenses paid and all the initial startup costs covered and a solid client base already built it seems like a nice deal. Just make sure you can perform to the same quality as your buddy and you'll do great!

Oh, my bad :redface:

If thats the case I wouldn't split anything with him :/

Danathin
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I believe the split is more than fair since so many costs are covered by his buddy who built the business and the flexibility he will be afforded to continue day trading. Could be a very successful venture if everything is handled correctly.

Rsurfer
05-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Are you for real Flash!

HotWhipT/A
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Exactly! I can do the same quality of work as him.

Why is that?

I believe the split is more than fair since so many costs are covered by his buddy who built the business and the flexibility he will be afforded to continue day trading. Could be a very successful venture if everything is handled correctly.

That's what I'm thinking. Not to mention some other perks.

rustytruck
05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Who is going to pay for the cost of running the shop?? Rent, electricity, insurance, advertising, phone, internet, re supplying the supplies? The devil is in the details. If you think the business is a good investment offer to buy it outright. Remember every $100 wash and wax you labor over is $40 in your buddies pocket. It's hard maintaining a business (even an established one) when your giving away forty cents on every dollar you earn.

Rsurfer
05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Sounds like a win, win for both of you. Your friend has a hell of a lot more to lose then you do. It's his reputation, so I hope you don't let him down.

Mobile detail
05-23-2012, 09:23 PM
I'll pay you to work for me, and all I have to do is pay for supplies and gas. Thats a win win for your buddy. You do all the work,run the business, deal with the customers, and all I have to do is buy supplies and I get a 40% return. Thats great for me.

If his business is that good, why don't you just buy him outright and not have to split the profits. Seems like its no risk for him, and up to you do all the work. Or why don't you just start up your own detailing shop and swoop up his old customers. Yes, I know he is your friend, but this is business and your in it to make money and he is going to make more money where he is at. He is double dipping and your holding the bag.