PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150 plastic grill help

jwgreen6
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Many cars have a plastic grill like this Ford F-150. I would like to know what can I do to improve its appearance. I've tried a couple of trim dressings but all they do is make the grill wet. The customer suggested removing the grill and re-painting it. I'm wondering if that's the only way to restore the grill. Thanks.

Dugdug
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Many cars have a plastic grill like this Ford F-150. I would like to know what can I do to improve its appearance. I've tried a couple of trim dressings but all they do is make the grill wet. The customer suggested removing the grill and re-painting it. I'm wondering if that's the only way to restore the grill. Thanks.

Mothers back to black. Make sure it's clean first. Then apply a generous coat. Let sit a few minutes and wipe off. It may need another coat. But what I have noticed, the longer you let it sit, the better it works. It does a great job so long as you give it some time. I apply it with a cheap foam paint brush. Does the trick really well. It will look wet at first, but after you dry it off it will just look like brand new plastic. You can pick it up in autozone or wallmart.

Here's one of my 50/50 shots with it.

http://www.dugdugsdetailing.com/2012-02-15_12-24-36_131.jpg

Mike Phillips
05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Good question.

The problem with most gray and black plastic trim is whatever "dressing" or "treatment" you apply, if the car is in fact a daily driver it won't last forever and that's what most people want, set-it and forget-it solution.

I remember when Mini Coopers were brand new the hardcore enthusiasts would have the black plastic fender trim painted to match the body panels. By painting the plastic using an automotive basecoat/clearcoat finish you would have a smooth, non-porous surface that while like the rest of the body panels you would still have to polish and wax at least it wouldn't turn dull and ugly or be a trap for unsightly compound, polish and wax residue.

:)

truckbutt
05-23-2012, 03:43 PM
For a solution that will last beyond a couple of rain storms, try Ultima Trim and Tire Guard Plus (UTTG+). It's not cheap but it will last longer then most. I've used Back to Black and I found that it ran and faded when it got wet.

oldmodman
05-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I took the plastic grill off my 92 Ford Explorer and just painted it.

Next step is to re-clear the whole truck.

DeadlySheds
05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
plastidip? Easy, and u can add glossifier if you like. If it doesn't work out just peel it off.

Jomax
05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
plastidip? Easy, and u can add glossifier if you like. If it doesn't work out just peel it off.

I was thinking of saying plastidip:)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

DeadlySheds
05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
I was thinking of saying plastidip:)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Yeah, I love that stuff. I have a serious hatred for chrome, so plastidip is my friend.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

01GreyStangGT
05-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I like Poorboys Trim Restorer for those.

eaglefan
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
UTTG, hands down, not even close. Back to black is a waste of time and money. Those 2 products shouldn't even be mentioned together. Black to black will be and endless process.

RhetoricMixes
05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Ive found that Chemical Guy's G6 Hypercoat leaves a very deep black look and is dry to the touch. Lasts through more than a few rain storms also. Its all i use on my clients and my own vehicles.

Dr Oldz
05-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Here are some products that will help with restoring that

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html)

Sonus Tire & Bumper Dressing Gel, rubber protectant, protect tires (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-tire-bumper-dressing.html)

I find with plastic that bad, no matter what product you use, multiple thin applications are needed.
I also have found that there is no permanent solution and proper upkeep of the pieces is required just like paint needs proper upkeeping.

The Solution Finish will bring the worst plastics back to life and like I said, multi thin layers is key. SF will also be very durable. It is hydrophobic and will not run in the rain if proper application procedures are followed.

The Sonus is a much cheaper alternative and will also restore the look with multi thin layer coats. You must apply and let it sit for about 5 min then buff off the excess with a clean MF towel or you will see some slight runs. If you wipe off properly, the Sonus is also hydrophobic and will give good durability but need reapplication a bit more often than the SF.

Mobile detail
05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
UTTG is a great product and I use it all the time. However, for what your trying to do, you need to just paint it. You can get some plastic paint from the local paint supply or even pep boys, and have at it. UTTG will kinda make it look better but on extremely faded pieces like that, its not a real fix. I had the same problem on my F150, the honeycomb grill got faded,and I popped it off and sprayed it and it looks so much better.

Dr Oldz
05-23-2012, 10:52 PM
UTTG is awesome and has some serious durability but lacks in the restoring department.