PDA

View Full Version : Ford E-150 or Chevy express...?

ALLN1WASH
05-23-2012, 11:47 AM
How's it going AG?
I'm looking for some input on these two vehicles. I am about 24 hours away from pulling the trigger and getting a new rig. I have narrowed the search down to these two models(ford E-150 and Chevy express). The two particular vehicles I am looking at are around the same in cost and milage. Just looking for some input from you all. Pros & cons of each model(ie. Gas milage, load handling, and over all longevity of the vehicle).

Jaretr1
05-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I think from a mechanical durability standpoint, they are pretty close if not dead even. Formerly working in a repair shop, I saw both of them with an even share of problems. The small block Chevy V8 is probably more durable over time (although prone to rear main seal leaks). Having driven both of them, I think the Express is just a much more comfortable driving van. Better seating position, more comfortable ride, at least that was my impression. Lastly, the E-150 is going away soon, being replaced by Fords fullsize Transit van that they currently sell in Europe.

Jomax
05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I would get the Ford, better overall built IMHO. I would Also get a 3/4ton, better brakes etc. my uncle has a Chevy can and it's falling apart.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

SalRS
05-23-2012, 03:52 PM
It depends on how the van is equiped. If your looking at 4.2/4.3 v6 vans then the Ford. If its a v8 I would lean towards the chevy for ride quility (they do ride very nice even loaded) and the Ford for build qulity.

Its not that the interior of the chevy is bad but it just has a very cheap plastic feel to me.

Both the triton (I'm guessing Triton power correct) and the Vortec 5.3 are dependable engines.

Halverso_99
05-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Ford. Way more dependable and better built.

Bill1234
05-23-2012, 04:49 PM
IMO I would go for the Ford. They are good quality and will last. The Chevy is going to have so many problems in the future

Jomax
05-23-2012, 05:00 PM
IMO I would go for the Ford. They are good quality and will last. The Chevy is going to have so many problems in the future

My uncle's Chevy van has 160k and he can't keep it together. Yea maybe the Chevy rides a bit better, but really it's a work van, who cares.

Jomax
05-23-2012, 05:02 PM
It depends on how the van is equiped. If your looking at 4.2/4.3 v6 vans then the Ford. If its a v8 I would lean towards the chevy for ride quility (they do ride very nice even loaded) and the Ford for build qulity.

Its not that the interior of the chevy is bad but it just has a very cheap plastic feel to me.

Both the triton (I'm guessing Triton power correct) and the Vortec 5.3 are dependable engines.

If I were to get a van it would be with the 7.3 diesel, but that's just me :)

ALLN1WASH
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I was already leaning towards the ford just because the particular van I'm looking at has a lot of new bells and whistles. 2002 with just over 115k miles. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. I'll post some pics later tomorrow.