PDA

View Full Version : Boats...waxing in the sun...

SeaJay's
05-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I've been getting more and more boat details lately. Most have not been an issue. However, I've recently been getting a few details at a marina.

For those of you who detail either your own boat or do it for work, what do you use to wax in direct sunlight?

It's not exactly like I can pop a canopy up on the bow of a boat that's sitting in the water.

Appreciate the feedback as always!

Flash Gordon
05-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Poorboy's SSR's are Sun friendly

Megs 105 would give you fits

SeaJay's
05-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Poorboy's SSR's are Sun friendly

Megs 105 would give you fits

Good to know next time I need to polish in the sun. Right now I'm more concerned with just waxing. I get more boats that just want a coat of wax put on (even though some really need to be polished).

M105 definitely would be a real pain to work with in the sun. I wouldn't even bother trying.

bobble
05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I use DG 501 on the boats/jet skis I do and in the sun but do try and do them early in the day. I have never done one in the water mainly on trailers. I top with DG AW and usually leave a few ounces with the owner in a cheap 4oz pump spray bottle for sprucing up. I've got an old Sanger hull I'm going to do for a friend to see if we can clean it up and save it. It's been sitting for awhile in someones backyard and their giving it to him no mechancials.

Morphiusrt
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Sun??? Are you in the wrong state? lol jk....

All poorboys products work spectacular in the sun. Some people don't realize this. I have the Poorboys World Polish with Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-polish-sealant.html) and it is my go to aio especially in the sun. I have heard good things about Poorboy's Polish with 100% Carnauba (http://www.autogeek.net/pbpwc12.html)

If you want I can give you a little tube of the polish/sealant to try out on Thursday. I'd let you borrow the whole thing if I didn't need it on Sunday.

KKYS
05-23-2012, 02:11 AM
I've been getting more and more boat details lately. Most have not been an issue. However, I've recently been getting a few details at a marina.

For those of you who detail either your own boat or do it for work, what do you use to wax in direct sunlight?

It's not exactly like I can pop a canopy up on the bow of a boat that's sitting in the water.

Appreciate the feedback as always!

Living in SW Florida, my first cryteria in researching new products for my sons marine
detailing business is , SUN FRIENLDY. As you stated working in a controled enviorment is not
an option, usually, for a marine detailer.

A few waxes we use or have used are the Collinites, Poorboys,McGuires,3M.

There are probably others that work well that we have'nt tried yet.

As long as a product is Sun Friendly, is a good place to start, even if the product does
not label itself as a marine product.

Mike Phillips
05-23-2012, 06:04 AM
One to consider that's been around a long time and has a good reputation for longevity AND is easy to apply, dries fast and wipes off easy is Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant.

It offers some very light cleaning ability which makes it good for cleaning off any left over polishing residues from any previous procedures and makes it great for a maintenance wax for gel-coats that oxidize continually when in outdoor environments.

:)

Gurge
05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
very rarely do I just wax a boat. for a spring cleanup (which is what you're getting asked I assume) I always do something that cleans as well as protects. If i'm feeling good or things go smoothly then I'll top with something strictly for protection

I really like XMT 360 BUT it is not all that sun friendly as I once thought it was. Works really well but on hot days its not the best. Recently started using Poorboys polish with carnauba (white) for those really warm / sunny days and its a breeze to remove. Good polishing ability also

usually interior / deck / gunnels I use my griots DA with LC white. Don't really need the rotary power and you can get the DA in tight areas. Real tight areas by hand. The hull I use the rotary with the 3m waffle white pad (compounding). Gotta tape off the bottom paint if its there so you can clean along the waterline

Some boats obviously are beyond the capabilities of cleaner wax and I typically just don't have the time to truly polish them (part time and we're typically talking full detail in & out on 25-30ft boats)

BTW I've found marine work pays me better per hour than cars. You may find the same as well. My body feels it more the next day though.

Edit: I see someone recommended poorboys polish with sealant and although I love the product I would NOT recommend that for marine use. PwS is brown and I've found it could potentially stain gel coat if its really chalky and oxidized. Not permanently stain but leave behind a brown look which is not the goal. PwC WHITE (not blue) doesn't really have this problem as a lot of boats are white anyway

SeaJay's
05-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks everyone. I actually have used 3m cleaner wax which works pretty well. But in direct hot sun it isnt that great. I'm working on a 27' checkmate right now with some very light oxidation. Actually using m205 on a orange ht pad. Is working great and following it up with Meg's pure wax for boats.

I'll try some of the products mentioned.