PDA

View Full Version : Newb from Canada

Mopar
05-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to get your opinions on my exterior detailing process. My car is a 2010 Dodge Charger. Paint is is fairly good condtion, some swirls etc. I just recently purchased a porter cable 7424 xp with LC CCS pads, orange, green, white, black, and blue. My plan of attack is: Wash, clay (meguiars), Clean: Ultimate cmound for heavy swirled areas, ultimate polish for lighter swirls, # 7 show car glaze, then to top it off Ultimate wax/NXT. Would a carnuba wax, like gold class, go better over the ultimate wax?, as UW is a sealant? I have purchased Mike's video and book so I have a pretty good handle on all aspects of the PC, pressue, speed etc

Also i have been a meguiars user for some time now but is there other products out there that would be better than what I'am using?

Thanks for you help!

BMGz33
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
You've got the products in the right order... go out and try it and post some pics of the results

mjlinane
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Welcome to AGO!!

Mike Phillips
05-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Hey Guys,

My car is a 2010 Dodge Charger. Paint is is fairly good condition, some swirls etc.

I just recently purchased a porter cable 7424 xp with LC CCS pads, orange, green, white, black, and blue.

Ultimate compound for heavy swirled areas
ultimate polish for lighter swirls
# 7 show car glaze
then to top it off Ultimate wax/NXT.

That recipe will work great. By the time you're done with the UC and the UP the paint should look incredible and at this point any quality wax or paint sealant will only act to create a more uniform looking finish and max out the gloss and clarity.

You probably could skip the #7 step as the Ultimate Polish should finish out looking stellar. #7 is very oily as it is intended to be and was originally formulated in the days of the Model T for single stage paints all the way up to the 1980's.

I wrote the concept paper for NXT Tech Wax back in 2003, it was introduced in 2004 and went from zero sales to the number one selling wax in the United Stated by August of 2004 so it can't be too bad.

The most important thing when using ANY wax or paint sealant is to apply a thin, uniform coating and then follow directions for wipe-off.

If the product states to wipe off immediately then wipe off immediately.

If the product state to allow the product to dry to a haze the allow the product to dry to a haze.

Do read my chapter on using good wiping techniques for wiping off the polish and the wax.

:xyxthumbs:

Mopar
05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the help. Not hard to learn when you have good reading material, videos and online fourms like here and Meguiars.

Mopar
05-22-2012, 07:37 PM
The results... clay, UC, UP, UW.

QuantumX
05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Oh Canada!! Welcome to AGO. LOTS of great information and advice to be found here!!:dblthumb2:

Nice looking job!