PDA

View Full Version : Hologram Mark After 1st Cut

k3nn4
05-22-2012, 03:48 AM
Dear Professional,

There is quite a lot of hologram mark appears after my first cut with Maguiars DA G220V with Diamond Cut 2.0 and Lake Country Orange Low Profile Light Cutting

Am i polishing with the wrong skill or ? how to polish off the hologram mark which create by the pad or the polisher ? ?

Thanks

truckbutt
05-22-2012, 05:40 AM
I think the problems are that:
1. This product is designed for use on a rotary polisher.
2. It uses diminishing abrasives which means you need to make sure that you work it long enough.
3. It requires follow up with a finishing polish.

From Autogeek's Store description:

"Meguiars Diamond Cut Compound #85 2.0 is fast-cutting compound for paint correction and swirl removal. Use #85 with your rotary polisher to level severe scratches and defects on automotive paints with a high solids content, such as those used by Mercedes and Ford. Diamond Cut Compound is low dusting and leaves minimal swirls.

Meguiars Diamond Cut Compound #85 2.0 rates a 10 on Meguiars scale of cutting power. It uses diminishing abrasive technology to level sanding scratches and severe paint defects using your rotary polisher. Yet, because the abrasives gradually disappear, this compound finishes with only light swirls, which can be easily removed with a finishing polish.

Meguiars Diamond Cut Compound #85 2.0 is recommended for rotary use. Its professional quality formula is designed for the high speed cutting that can only be provided by a circular/rotary buffer. For heavy oxidation and severe sanding scratches, use an 8.5 wool pad. Follow up with Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and an orange pad to polish the paint to a high gloss."

I suggest you switch to M105 which is compatible with DA and rotary.

mjlinane
05-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Scott is correct. You will need to finish out the compounding with something like Menz 203 or Opt HP on a polishing pad (white or green maybe). Moderate speed (4-5) and slow arm movement until the polish goes translucent.

Mike Phillips
05-22-2012, 06:08 AM
I think the problems are that:
1. This product is designed for use on a rotary polisher.
2. It uses diminishing abrasives which means you need to make sure that you work it long enough.
3. It requires follow up with a finishing polish.

I suggest you switch to M105 which is compatible with DA and rotary.

Perfect answer.

Dear Professional,

There is quite a lot of hologram mark appears after my first cut with Maguiars DA G220V with Diamond Cut 2.0 and Lake Country Orange Low Profile Light Cutting

Am i polishing with the wrong skill or ? how to polish off the hologram mark which create by the pad or the polisher ? ?

Thanks

Great questions and if you're brand new to machine polishing it can sometimes be a little overwhelming because there's so many products, pads and information on how to polish paint but Scott aka truckbutt hit the nail on the head.

You're using a product designed to only be used with a rotary buffer and anytime you're using AGGRESSIVE products like compounds and cutting pads chances are very good you're not going to leave a perfect finish after.

Keep in mind,

"Polishing paint is an art form, not a grinding process"

The beauty kicks in AFTER the first initial correction step as you move on to the polishing steps...

You need to see what other products you can get for your heavy cutting compound or polish.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Be sure to check my replyl to one of your origial posts here on our forum...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/49352-maguiars-da-polish-machine-compatiable-these-pad.html

k3nn4
05-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Guys,

ok.. this is what happens..

first i was using the compound cut 2.0 and i saw there is some hologram mark leave by the machine or pad.. and then i change it to Maguairs Swirl Remover 2.0 and the result still the same tho..

why?

mjlinane
05-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Pics? Before (after IPA wipe), after compound, after polish. Car? Color?

Mike Phillips
05-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Guys,

first i was using the compound cut 2.0 and i saw there is some hologram mark leave by the machine or pad.. and then i change it to Maguairs Swirl Remover 2.0 and the result still the same tho..

why?

Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 is a Fine to Ultra Fine Cut Compound. It's probably not strong enough to remove the micro-marring left by the M85.

Also, it too can leave micro-marring especially if used with any type of cutting pad.

What kind of pad are you using?

To trouble shoot any product or pad, place a tape line down on an affected panel and only work on one side of the tape line. Then inspect and you should be able to tell if what you're doing is helping or hurting.

And don't forget, any time you're buffing out a car you should be starting with a Test Spot. This way if you run into problems only a SMALL section of paint is affected, not the entire car.

Don't buff out the entire car till you dial in your pads and products using a Test Spot.

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
05-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Read this,

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)

A Test Spot
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/TestSpot03.jpg

:buffing:

Mike Phillips
05-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Also, DA's don't leave "holograms" they leave what is called Micro-Marring or DA Haze.

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls and Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28443-difference-between-rotary-buffer-swirls-cobweb-swirls-micro-marring.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
05-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Guys,

why?

Updates?

Where you at with this?