PDA

View Full Version : How to clean dirty glass corners?

AutowerxDetailing
05-21-2012, 11:58 PM
How do you guys clean glass corners when there is baked on dirt, grime, whatever in the corners and along the edges of the exterior glass? I have tried everything from detailing clay to 99% IPA. I'm tempted to bust out the Dremel but I don't want to mess up the glass or trim. It's just impossible to get any type of tool with enough leverage into these little corners. Any pro tips would be much appreciated!!!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-05-21_21_44_05.jpg

davey g-force
05-22-2012, 12:02 AM
You might need to remove the trim.

Just be careful using a dremel or other power tool near that plastic trim - it's easily damaged.

AutowerxDetailing
05-22-2012, 12:05 AM
LOL that's like the exact opposite answer I was hoping for. I'm looking for a miracle chemical/process here.

Even if I agitate it with a brush it doesn't even make a dent in it. The only thing I haven't tried is like wheel cleaner or concrete cleaner. Those are probably the harshest chemicals I have in stock right now.

SANTA3013
05-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Try using a PLASTIC 1" putty knife, a microfiber towel and an APC. Works for me. Just wrap the mf towel around the putty knife and wet with APC and work it into the corner.

AutowerxDetailing
05-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Try using a PLASTIC 1" putty knife, a microfiber towel and an APC. Works for me. Just wrap the mf towel around the putty knife and wet with APC and work it into the corner.

Just tried a plastic razor blade and APC... no go.

Also M205 on a MF towel rubbing like crazy... no go.

It feels like it's etched into the glass when I rub my fingernail over it. Oh well. I just have this customer's car sitting in my garage all night until it stops raining and I keep seeing little things to perfect. I could probably spend all night cleaning/polishing little nooks and crannies. I better get out of the garage before this Honda Accord turns into a show car.

WRX_Adam
05-22-2012, 01:12 AM
After looking at the picture the first thing that comes to my mind is to try using a window scraper. Like painters use to scrape off specs of paint that got on the windows. It's basically a razor blade. I see you used a plastic one, but what I'm talking about is metal. Just keep the angle as flat as possible and take extra care when with the trim being so close. I used a window scraper to remove a college parking sticker a while back and don't remember it leaving any significant (if any) scratches. Also make sure to use a new one so that you get good smooth, sharp edge. That's my best guess.
Good luck. :xyxthumbs: