PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightener Question !!!

Pages : [1] 2

Webb
05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Okay I have a new car 2012 Jeep I keep the wheels clean.I wash every other weekend...The wheels are 20-inch Polished Aluminum Wheels with Satin Carbon Painted.

http://s17.postimage.org/ma7lk8pwf/IMG_0375.jpg

I will buy the D140 + The 32oz bottle just to keep it organized.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2210_169074855

So the question is what's is the right mixture for a 32ox bottle ? I understand that the ratio for normal cleaning would be 4:1,so on a 32oz bottle do I put 8oz of White Brightener ? Not sure just don't want to mess up a new wheel with a stronger mixture.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

LuxuryMobile
05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
There will be a line on that bottle on where to fill with water. After that fill the rest with Wheel Brightener.

LuxuryMobile
05-21-2012, 09:30 PM
And 4:1 is not too strong but is also unnecessary for maintenance cleaning. You could probably get away with half as strong as that.

Rsurfer
05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Why do you want to use an acid on new wheels? Why not seal your wheels and then just soap, water and a little agitation?

Webb
05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
So you suggest 3:1 ?

Webb
05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Why do you want to use an acid on new wheels?

It says is safe for painted and clear coated wheel right ? :dunno:

"Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener is a super concentrated wheel cleaner for clear coated, factory painted, and chrome wheels. It easily removes brake dust, tar, dirt, and grime with little or no scrubbing. With a dilution ratio of up to 4:1, Wheel Brightener is an easy choice for cost-conscious detailers. You can get sixteen 32 ounce bottles of wheel cleaner out of one gallon of Wheel Brightener!"

Setec Astronomy
05-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Why do you want to use an acid on new wheels? Why not seal your wheels and then just soap, water and a little agitation?

It says is safe for painted and clear coated wheel right ? :dunno:

Safe for the wheels, maybe, not so safe for you. If you have well maintained wheels, you should not need WB. I would Opti-Coat them when new and forget about harsh wheel cleaners forever.

Rsurfer
05-21-2012, 09:42 PM
It's still an acid and I would use it only if absolutely necessary. Again, why not seal your wheels with a good wheel sealant and wash with soap and water?

timaishu
05-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I would skip the wheel brightener. Your wheels will never need something that strong unless you dont wash them for the next several years.

Its nasty stuff, and your wheels are already good. So I would stick with a friendly wheel cleaner that doesnt require gloves and a mask to use lol.

Rsurfer
05-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Just like polishing paint..least aggressive first. If a paint cleaner will remove water spots why use an acid..hope that makes sense.

SonOfOC
05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Setec and Rsurfer are correct. Absolutely no need for strong wheel cleaners if you keep your wheels clean. Soap and water, ONR, WW, or even a QD are very gentle.

Meg WB works great on nasty dirty wheels, it's the only time I use it. You'll need gloves and a good respirator.

Webb
05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
I have Blackfire Crystal Seal on my wish list,I'm just waiting for a RMA I sent to convert in store credit so I can order the rest ?

Okay so after sealing the wheels I won't need to clean for a while,so which product will clean the tire without striping the sealant ? I don't know why but my tires turn brown very easy.

Thanks

Bigbull2984
05-21-2012, 10:01 PM
I agree with clean your wheels and seal. I did a wash with Dawn and Megs soap about 6 weeks ago and cleaned the wheels with that and Megs all wheel. Sealed with Crystal Seal. I have a V6 TSX so it has the upgraded brakes (supposedly) and it creates tons of dust. Now to clean is easy, one mist of qd and a micro fiber towel. Done.

Webb
05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
I have Blackfire Crystal Seal on my wish list,I'm just waiting for a RMA I sent to convert in store credit so I can order the rest ?

Okay so after sealing the wheels I won't need to clean for a while,so which product will clean the tire without striping the sealant ? I don't know why but my tires turn brown very easy.

Thanks

Anyone ?

TimmyG
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
I would opti coat those nice wheels - just my $.02. Then use a GENTLE wheel cleaner on them when needed.

As stated, wheel brightener is a REALLY heavy duty cleaner. I only use it on wheels in very poor shape desperately in need of a strong cleaner.