PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightener Question !!!

Pages : 1 [2]

BobbyG
05-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Applying a sealant to a clean wheel provides that protective coating that repels brake dust, dirt, and road grime by at least 50%. Because of this washing can be accomplished using your favorite car wash and water solution.

Tires turn brown due to out-gassing of the rubber compound while driving. Tires take a lot of abuse under normal conditions causing them to stretch, twist, and breath somewhat. All this combined with heat and road contaminates result in the browning you see.

There's a host of tire cleaners on the market that work well including all purpose cleaners most of us have on the shelf. Using an aggressive cleaner is a balance between it's ability to thoroughly clean without degrading the wheels protective sealant so care must be exercised otherwise you'll strip some of the sealant..You can easily over come this in a couple of ways.

Wash the tire with the product of your choice and reapply a coat of sealant or wax each time.
Thoroughly clean and polish the wheel and apply a permanent coating like Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)

ziggo99
05-22-2012, 10:24 AM
I have Blackfire Crystal Seal on my wish list,I'm just waiting for a RMA I sent to convert in store credit so I can order the rest ?

Okay so after sealing the wheels I won't need to clean for a while,so which product will clean the tire without striping the sealant ? I don't know why but my tires turn brown very easy.

Thanks

You'll still have to clean the wheels each wash, but with just soap and water.

For tires, are you talking about run off onto the wheels stripping the sealant? I use either Meguiar's APC+ or Optimum Power Clean, depending on how bad the tires are, and then either an old mitt or the Mother's Tire Brush.

wgilles
05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
I agree with sealing the wheels and just using soap and water. I have black painted OEM wheels and I sealed them with RejeX. All I need now is a little soap and water and all the dirt comes right off (not to mention water beads off the wheels now too!)

RMM
05-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Why do you want to use an acid on new wheels? Why not seal your wheels and then just soap, water and a little agitation?

:iagree: Everybody said it and it is also my opinion. On properly maintained wheels (in my case, I haven't even felt the need to seal them - that would be nice for the beading though :xyxthumbs:) you only have to use car shampoo and a brush.

So the question is what's is the right mixture for a 32ox bottle ? I understand that the ratio for normal cleaning would be 4:1,so on a 32oz bottle do I put 8oz of White Brightener ? Not sure just don't want to mess up a new wheel with a stronger mixture.
Thanks

On a 32oz bottle you put 6.4 WB and 25.6 water.

So you suggest 3:1 ?

That would be even harsher not milder.

Webb
05-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Great guys,I have at the moment Chemical Guys Wheel Guard which by their description is a sealant too,I can do 2 coats.I will use this for now until the Blackfire crystal seal gets here.:xyxthumbs: