PDA

View Full Version : After Opti-Coat, do I really need a DA polisher?

dnobel
05-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I am a complete novice at paint polishing with three aging daily drivers in my family to maintain. I was on the verge of buying a DA polisher and accessories when I read reviews and lots of positive comments here about some of the new coatings.

I am increasingly thinking that this might well be a "final solution" for all our cars and that being the case, am wondering whether it wouldn't make more sense to just pay a skilled detailer to do all the paint touch-ups, correction, and polishing, plus apply the coating. What leads me to consider that is that I am questioning sinking money into equipment, and time into learning specialized skills, that I might seldom or even never need to use again, given that the coating is basically a permanent finish.

Of course, this is all pure speculation based on lack of knowledge and experience. And I have no idea which detailers in my area are really good or how much they would charge to do the work.

Any informed opinions that might help me decide which way to go would be greatly appreciated.

LuxuryMobile
05-21-2012, 06:38 PM
DA polishing is easy enough now with all the new pad and product technology.

I can tell you that to get three cars corrected and coated could cost you close to $1,500-$2,000 in my area (or what I would charge anyways)

If your here on AG, you must like detailing a least a little. I say do it yourself and enjoy the process. Spend half of what someone would charge and have fun with it. Resources are out their to learn on your own.

In theory I can't think of many uses for a DA if your vehicles are Opti-Coated. Unless you are looking to remove the coating for some reason.

Chris Thomas
05-21-2012, 06:39 PM
While harder than OEM clear, Opti Coat will still fall prey to bad wash habits aka swirls. It is more resistant that normal clear, but it is certainly not a magical force field. What you CAN expect from the coating is for your car to have less damage than it's uncoated counterpart, easier washed, stays cleaner longer, and is much more resistant to chemicals and enviromental fallout sticking/etching the finish. Opti Coat is also as hydro phobic as a high grade wax, so you will see excellent water repellancy that will not fade over time.

Jomax
05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Get a DA, you can use it for anything really. I just bought the brush attachment for carpet. It's great!! Plus family WILL want you to do their cars . You can make money off them :)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

arack
05-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Honestly, I do not see the need for a dual action polisher if you are going to Opti Coat your vehicles. I may get stones thrown my way, but if you correct your paint and opti coat your vehicles, it really isn't necessary.

If you have good wash habits, your vehicle should hold up well with Opti Coat.

As Chris states, it is harder than OEM clear coat.

Save your money and use it to keep your interior clean!

dnobel
05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all your replies!

After careful consideration, I think I am going to go for it and buy a DA and pads.