PDA

View Full Version : So You Think YOU Can Make Foam?

oldmodman
05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Entire building filled. 16 feet deep.

AFFF Foam Test Ellsworth AFB POL - YouTube

I wonder if it lets you remove bird bombs?

Flash Gordon
05-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Thats pretty neat!

I wonder if you could walk around in that stuff w/out dying

BobbyG
05-21-2012, 01:24 PM
WOW, now that's what I call foam!! :props:

I wonder if that's strictly for fire suppression?

timaishu
05-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Is this for fire suppression?

Flash Gordon
05-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Is this for fire suppression?

Sure would make walking around in it difficult http://www.3sgto.org/images/smilies/bawc/zombie3.gif

flyinion
05-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Going to say 99% sure yes it's just for fire suppression. When I was in the Navy we had AFFF (or "A triple F" as we referred to it). It stands for aqueous film forming foam and was used for class B fires which are from stuff like oil, fuel, etc. Basically forms a film on top of the oil/grease/whatever to block out access to oxygen. It's a lot better than water because of course oil floats on water and water spray will actually cause the flaming fuel to be splattered as the water hits it. You could actually make a class B fire worse by spraying it with water.

bigez
05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Nice. I'm going to put my car under one of those next time I need to foam.

BillE
05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Going to say 99% sure yes it's just for fire suppression. When I was in the Navy we had AFFF (or "A triple F" as we referred to it). It stands for aqueous film forming foam and was used for class B fires which are from stuff like oil, fuel, etc. Basically forms a film on top of the oil/grease/whatever to block out access to oxygen. It's a lot better than water because of course oil floats on water and water spray will actually cause the flaming fuel to be splattered as the water hits it. You could actually make a class B fire worse by spraying it with water.

Exactaly!

That stuff WORKS! Also, smells a lot better than the old 'mechanical foam' of years back.

Bill