PDA

View Full Version : Put the wife into sticker shock

Pages : [1] 2

Spiney
05-21-2012, 12:23 AM
I know many of you are into the detailing dollars for much more than me. But tonight the topic of my current AG order came up. My wife wasn't raging, but she wasn't pleased. Back story we bought our 96 SVT Cobra last July. Besides a Sears Wax pusher I had no equipment and few products. So on the advice of the previous owner who maintained the car very well for 15 years we went out and excitedly bought a long list of Maguiar's OTC mostly Gold Class products. Then some assorted MF items, California Duster, silicone squeegee, etc. then we join the local Mustang club and I start watching every car related show on Speed and Velocity. So we are in $10,500 for the car, $300+ for a cover, then we realize covers not good enough we need to clean out rotting 63 Pontiac, brother in laws not ours from garage, and get Cobra in garage because it's never seen rain and we are getting monsoons. Get car in garage and realize that with my 4 back surgeries opening garage door is causing pain. So we buy a Sears garage door opener on sale for $200 plus $149 install. They come out to install and say door is very heavy, springs, cables, and pulleys are shot, and I need a $80 extension kit because I have a 8 foot door. So $200 garage door opener turns into about $550.

Through shows and car guy friends we find out our paint is pretty damn good for now 16 years old but it needs detailed. We have several other cars so rather than pay to have Cobra detailed, I want to buy buffer and do it myself. The old give a man a fish or teach him how to fish story. So my Christmas gift is a GG 6" DA and a Meg's DA MF kit. Forgot to mention through Two guys garage and My Classic Car I discover AG and become addicted. So even with the New Years sale I spend about $200 there. Through reading the forums and help from TuscaroraDave, Bobby, Cee Dog, and Mr Phillips I realize I need more than I have. So after a month of reading and agonizing over pad selection and product selection, and buying spare pads because locally all I can buy are 6". Plus polish and LSP, grit guards, you name it I just dropped even with sale another $228. So we are parked at the absolute farest end of a Walmart parking lot to avoid door dings and I make the mistake of saying I want to look at the auto section. This is after we just put in our cart about $40 worth of clear plastic tubs to sort and protect my detailing supplies. She says what could you possibly need. I sheepishly say I forgot to get leather cleaner and conditioner. Then she asks how much was my order and I half lied and said $128. Because it was $228 and I had a $100 gift certificate. But I lied and said $128 and she started to get mad. So I added but I had a $100 gift certificate. Then we check out and are heading to the car. I never lie to her, or her to me and I always get hit with instant karma. So I figure I better fess up or there will be a big scratch in the car when we get there. So I tell her my real out of pocket was $128. And that's the minimum I needed to spend to do it right. She gets upset but I tell her not to worry, we have it, besides I have some squirrelled away to pay for it.

So just in detailing supplies I'm in for about $578. And I'm not in this for even a sideline business. When we bought our used 98 Volvo V70 wagon 5 years ago it was in nice shape but I still took it to a local detailer. We paid $150 and were not impressed. So I figure I can improve and maintain our Volvo, my 90 Ranger with 2 year old paint, the Cobra, and my mother in laws 2002 Camry. I guess my wife's question is when does it end? Does your spouse get upset when you bring more detailing supplies home? I know eventually she will be cool with it because the Cobra was supposed to be my 50th birthday gift, but as soon as she drove it it has become more hers, than mine. She's now really into the whole scene including cruises and shows. Well I've spouted long enough. Once my box o goodies arrives, I best make some magic happen. Cheers, thanks for all of the advice and support. Spiney-Dave

snellvilleauto
05-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Good thing my wife doesn't look at my bills :)

Jiggles
05-21-2012, 02:24 AM
money well spent

Dr Oldz
05-21-2012, 02:29 AM
You can show her this and say "At least I am not that bad!"

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Some.JPG

mwoolfso
05-21-2012, 05:48 AM
When my wife gets to "when will it end" mode, I mention to her about TCO (total cost of ownership). The ramp-up in costs should permit ongoing months or years to be less costly as long as work efforts stay the same or decrease. That is, unless I am collecting for the sake of collecting. We are practical people so the notion of having enough wax for 10 years is just something we don't do anywhere around the home. I apply this to everything around our home (even my fish tank) so she is used to the conversation.

BorisC
05-21-2012, 06:23 AM
I guess my wife's question is when does it end? Does your spouse get upset when you bring more detailing supplies home? I know eventually she will be cool with it because the Cobra was supposed to be my 50th birthday gift, but as soon as she drove it it has become more hers, than mine. She's now really into the whole scene including cruises and shows. Well I've spouted long enough. Once my box o goodies arrives, I best make some magic happen. Cheers, thanks for all of the advice and support. Spiney-Dave

Well truthfully it never ends. Especially if you're reading this forum. Eventually it will get to a point she won't even notice that there are new products on the shelf.

You could tell that you could be spending the money on worse things. Like Drugs, hookers, drugs & hookers, etc. Or since she's into driving the car, tell her "I know it's impossible but I'm trying to make the car look as good as you do." Btw, neither one will work but at least you can say you tried. :cool:

Danathin
05-21-2012, 06:35 AM
This is funny cause my girlfriend just found my first receipt for $409. She wasn't mad cause she could care less how I spend my money but I was in the other bedroom and all I heard was "400 dollars!?!?" I knew immediately what she was talking about. Made it up to her by detailing a car she just bought and she realized why I spent $400! :)

CaneCharger
05-21-2012, 06:48 AM
You can show her this and say "At least I am not that bad!"

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Some.JPG

Look at ALL that Dodo!!!

My wife is cool about it, because I clean her car and she knows it is a hobby!

NFA
05-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Trust me, in terms of money, detailing supplies and gear is cheap.

TimmyG
05-21-2012, 07:08 AM
As long as I keep my wifes car clean, she could care less about my detailing fund (or lack thereof!). I hear where you are coming from on the getting started standpoint. I probably have around $2500 in detailing supplies from the past six months or so - all for use on my personal vehicles. The way I see it, I used to spend $400+ for a single wash/clay/compound/polish/wax so if I can have a clean car year round and do the work myself, it'll all even out in the end.

BobbyG
05-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey Dave,

My detailing "hobby" is something I'm certain my wife continues to shake her head at but she absolutely loves her car when I'm finished. There's little doubt that she knows or suspects the actual cost of my "passion" but it also appears that Autogeek is doing quite well because of it...:dblthumb2:

Shhhhh, don't tell!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing%20Supplies%202012/2012Collection_17.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing%20Supplies%202012/2012Collection_09.jpg

FUNX650
05-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Perhaps this is a solution?!?!:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/44985-new-word-day-68.html#post677586

:D

Bob

Klasse Act
05-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Trust me, in terms of money, detailing supplies and gear is cheap.

100% pure truth!

The thing is here that the OP sounds like he had to start from scratch, so ofcoarse its going to cost a huge chunk of money, still, to keep your pride and joy lookin' its best, well, there's NO way to put a real price on that, even if you've got the bills:xyxthumbs:

david79z28
05-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Wow, I don't spend anywhere near as much as you guys do.

Ya all are making me look good, thank you!!!!

My wife even pays attention to what I like to use. So if she sees an email about something I use being on the VIP special, sale, etc, she brings it to my attention.

Again, Thank You!!!!

bobble
05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Well first off I'm divorced, with grown kids I raised myself. So the money I spend is nothing compared to what I shelled out for the divorce and raising two kids and putting them thru college and trade school.
My GF and I have been together for 8 years and she does not understand the time I spend doing this for our vehicles (5) and friends and family(@ another 20 or so a year) until she sees the results and hears people say how nice everything looks. I rationalize it to her as a protection in the investment, I have a decent primary business, been self employed since 1995 and we drop some good money on nicer cars and toys. I think the kicker for her was one trip out to the river last year we pulled up to the launch ramp to met some friends and they said when did you guys get new jet skis(I had just polished and sealed them as we were riding a lot in the ocean on weekdays nights) and she said they aren't new same old 04 and 06 we've always had. I of course had to pull her aside and say you see I told you about protecting our investment.
Anyhow just try to explain things that way, it always costs to get everything started, but honestly I probably only spend about $250/year now on stuff and those are consumables. I spend more than that to do front brakes on her or my car.