PDA

View Full Version : Need to do it over, again??

ericgreg
05-20-2012, 09:05 PM
I am one of the driver's in a school carpool. This past week was my last week driving, so I decided to have my Honda Pilot completely detailed. I normally detail both of my vehicles' exterior, but just don't have the tools to effectively clean the interior.

The local detailer I took my Pilot to did an awesome job on the interior. The exterior, on the other hand, is a mess. One of the problems I discussed with the guy was mold spores stuck to the exterior. I wanted to make sure those were removed. They weren't, and they were waxed over. After they polished and waxed the car, they sprayed something on the exterior, and did a horrible job of removpmg or spreading the spray. They didn't clay, rather they washed, polished, and waxed, followed by this spray. They didn't polish the chrome. I can see water spots all over the vehicle.

So, now for my question... do I just live with it, let the detail wear out on its own, or do I start all over from scratch. I guess what I'm looking for is to know whether or not there could be some long term damage done to the paint if I don't wash it down with Dawn, clay it, etc etc until I've redone the detail correctly?

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Just curious, but what is the name of the detailer you went to?

david79z28
05-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I guess it really depends on how much it bothers you.

I am so anal about the appearance of my vehicles, I would fix it.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that was my work.

A-train
05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't wont to leave the waterspots on there for the next few months.

Danathin
05-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Unfortunately I'm sure clay wasn't a part of that package. If you go back and have them re-do it, it'll probably just look the same. Best bet is to find a real detailer and see if he can fix this mess. Good luck bud.

slickooz
05-21-2012, 06:54 AM
When I check detail shops, first time I look at is their pricing. If the price is too good to be true then most of the time they are hacks. I worked a couple days at this detail shop close by and I wouldn't trust them with my car. This place was a mess, these people were hacks.

I scoped out a few detail shops in my area and none of them meets my standards. They all charge 100ish for interior cleaning, with an exterior compounding and polish, and wax. If they are not charging more then 250+ for in and out I would be very careful.

Beavis
05-21-2012, 07:09 AM
You really have to let the customers know what they are getting for your price.. I don't charge 250 for in and out. But I have add on that will get me close to that..It is all what my customers are looking to get. I have several different packages that have a starting price and then can have other things added to them if they want additional stuff.

Maybe talk to the detailer and see what he says. If a customer brought one back to me and was not happy I would try and make him happy so they might come back. Thats just me I want to make sure they are happy. I even offer a free wash if it happens to get rained on the same day when I do a complete detail.

slickooz
05-21-2012, 07:14 AM
When I said in and out, I meant thorough cleaning inside, and at least all in one or light polish. Its really hard to find a great detailer thats going polish a car for less then 200.

Setec Astronomy
05-21-2012, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't wont to leave the waterspots on there for the next few months.

+1

I think you're going to need to redo it. You say you normally detail the exterior, are you equipped to machine polish? If so, it would seem a good strong wash, clay, and a mild polish or AIO should at least get you back to where you were before you took it to this "detailer".

Beavis
05-21-2012, 07:33 AM
When I said in and out, I meant thorough cleaning inside, and at least all in one or light polish. Its really hard to find a great detailer thats going polish a car for less then 200.

I know what you were talking about and are right. I know as a detailer I would not have been happy with my work sending it out water spots all on it. I know when my customers ask for a wax I tell them that wax is like sunscreen. It just helps protect the paint and will not get any imperfections out.. lol

Sent from my HTC PH39100

ericgreg
05-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I don't think I am going to take it back. Rather, I'll just do it myself. Like I said, I normally perform all of the "surgery" on the exterior of my vehicles, and am happy with my work. They did a greaat job on the interior, and from now on, will probably just have them do that.

Does anyone know of any good detailers in Greenville, SC? Looking for a reference.

truckbutt
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
In the interest of those reading this thread who may be looking for someone to detail their car, a crucial point begs being made. This all could have been avoided if the detailer and you both had the same thing in mind when you told them to detail your car. Before letting someone start working on your car, have them evaluate your car and then have them tell you exactly what they plan on doing. That way if they leave out a step that you feel needs to be done or conversely adds a step that you feel is unnecessary, you can discuss it right there. Then if they don't do what you both agreed upon, you have a course of action. Otherwise, I think you either redo it yourself or discuss it with the detailer and hope they want to make you a satisfied customer.