PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Murano opinions please

Danube
05-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Wife is keen to get this 4x4 however I have no experience with Nissan or four wheel drives at all.

Opinions are much appreciated especially from you guys who already have this vehicle.
Prons, cons, etc please.

:xyxthumbs:

RoPaJa
05-20-2012, 09:13 PM
We bought the 2012 S model. Love the SUV. If you are looking at the Rogue or the cabriolet version of the Murano- DON"T waste of the money. We didn't get the AWD version because of the cost, but the front wheel drive worked fine to pull itself up a steep hill with ice patches this winter.

The transmission is a little different in that it does not shift like normal. I personally like it, but others who have driven the car said it felt weird. Guess a personal taste type thing.

Considering we have put 8K miles in 5 months (not the primary car either), it has been better than expected.

Cons: Horrible turning radius. Makes it tricky to back into or parallel park.

As for Nissans, I have owned a couple that I drove to more than 100K miles each so I can't complain about the manufacture.

We were looking to purchase a Lexus RX450, but decided for half the money that the Murano more than fit the bill. Next year after paying this one off, we will likely purchase another Murano with all the bells and whistles which is the only regret we have about the S model.

Hope this helps,
Ro

JJH2329
05-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I owned a murano. The transmission takes some getting used to. I had the all wheel drive version and it worked well in snow. The vehicle drove nice, was decent in gas and was spacious. If you plan to encounter snow the all wheel driven works well and would recommend getting that option. I did not like the transmission, but this is more a preference thing. I felt like it never accelerated correctly. Any other specific questions let me know.

Danube
05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, no snow here in Australia however the both versions available (ST & TI) are 4 wheel drive and has that transmission which I'm gonna test in a few days.

Any other views on this car, power, fuel consumption, etc?!?

JJH2329
05-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I should have looked at your location first! I think the power is OK, it is not great to be honest. When you hit the gas hard it will feel weird because of the CVT transmission. You don't get that hard acceleration in my opinion because the car does not shift. I owned the SL model with all wheel drive and my fuel economy was in the 21-24 range. On the highway, I could get 25 MPG but around town probably 18 MPG. The vehicle was very comfortable and had a nice layout. The visability out of the rear window is horrible. I had a back up camera in mine and would recommend making sure yours comes with that. I have owned a few Nissan's and they are reliable cars, so I think overall it is a good vehicle.

When you test drive it, make sure you accelerate hard with it and get up to a crusing speed and then accelerate hard from that speed. This should give you a feel for the CVT transmission and you will see if you like it. As I was saying I personally did not. If you ever have to get out of the way of something from a stop or from a highway speed, it is good to be comfortable with how the car handles.

Any other vehicles you are comparing this to?

Danube
05-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks, not really as Murano appears to have the best look of all 4x4 in its class and price range.
Everyone is complaining about 2 things being bad rear visibility, which is obvious, and high fuel consumption which is in my opinion not that bad having in mind its 1800 Kg vehicle using 11-14 liters p/1oo Km.

More I read more I'm puzzled with the transmission. I have driven a WV Golf with DSG transmission .. .it was quite interesting, hopefully Murano will not disappoint me in that regard.

:))

Bill1234
05-21-2012, 07:49 PM
If your wife wants a car that is loaded with tech, I would go with a Ford or Lincoln. They have alot of tech for the money and are good value.

JJH2329
05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
The fuel economy is really not all that bad. Let us know how the test drive goes and if you like it.

Danube
05-21-2012, 08:52 PM
If your wife wants a car that is loaded with tech, I would go with a Ford or Lincoln. They have alot of tech for the money and are good value.

We don't have Linkoln here and Ford's Territory is ugly as hel, thanks.

The fuel economy is really not all that bad. Let us know how the test drive goes and if you like it.

Will do, thanks.

Feed back please

Danube
05-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Had a test drive for about 1/2 hour & I like many things with Murano. Firstly and most importantly it drives like a sedan and not 4x4 that I drove in the past (Pathfinder, etc).
It has a decent power and transmission is unusual but works well.
All in all wife will be getting one soon.

Thanks for all replies.