PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Concerning Opti-Coat (NJ)

Pages : [1] 2

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Already posted on a separate section of Autogeek forums, but am going to try this one.

I recently opticoated my new car using Opti-Coat 2.0. I am not happy with the final results as it resulted in holograms and a few high spots. I was wondering if there are any reputable detailers in NJ that could polish away my Opti-Coat 2.0 and re-apply opti-guard/ or my opti-coat 2.0.

My detailing process was just wash/ clay as it was a new car and I do not have a DA polisher on hand as my friend's PC broke. My friends and I used a dispensable shop towel and wrapped it around the applicator pad. Is this the reason why there are holograms?

Thanks for any responses.

fenderpicks
05-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Are u sure, u know what the term "Holograms" is?
I dont think shop towel can cause that o.O? Unless u really rubbed like crazy and generate so much heat... which i highly doubt since it's done by hand.

Posting a picture or 2 will help, but bottom line is u will need a DA polisher in order to fix all this and to remove the OC u have already applied.

RMM
05-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Already posted on a separate section of Autogeek forums, but am going to try this one.

I recently opticoated my new car using Opti-Coat 2.0. I am not happy with the final results as it resulted in holograms and a few high spots. I was wondering if there are any reputable detailers in NJ that could polish away my Opti-Coat 2.0 and re-apply opti-guard/ or my opti-coat 2.0.

My detailing process was just wash/ clay as it was a new car and I do not have a DA polisher on hand as my friend's PC broke. My friends and I used a dispensable shop towel and wrapped it around the applicator pad. Is this the reason why there are holograms?

Thanks for any responses.

If it's a new car and you didn't polish it, the holograms were already there (probably hidden under some glaze applied by the dealer). You should have checked after the clay procedure. As for the high spots, they are a result of over-applying OC.

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Are u sure, u know what the term "Holograms" is?
I dont think shop towel can cause that o.O? Unless u really rubbed like crazy and generate so much heat... which i highly doubt since it's done by hand.

Posting a picture or 2 will help, but bottom line is u will need a DA polisher in order to fix all this and to remove the OC u have already applied.

I guess you're right. I guess the actual term is "streaks"?

Here's a bad picture. I can't really capture it on camera. The area where the sun is shining on the car below it you can see the streak. (Just imagine that on the entire car, and it is permanent)

http://i.imgur.com/DsU9a.jpg?1

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 01:32 PM
If it's a new car and you didn't polish it, the holograms were already there (probably hidden under some glaze applied by the dealer). You should have checked after the clay procedure. As for the high spots, they are a result of over-applying OC.

I am 100% sure the holograms or streaks (whatever they are called) were not there before I applied the opti-coat. At the dealership I made sure they did not wash my car because I knew they would most likely cause swirl marks or damage the paint. Which means they did not apply anything onto the paint either.

bigaizsosexy
05-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I am in NJ. Where are you located?

slickooz
05-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't have much experience with Opti-coat, but where are you located? There are couple of us here on AG that may be able to help you.

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I am in NJ. Where are you located?

I am located in Holmdel.

ShaunD
05-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Have you tried polishing by hand with an AIO or cleaner-wax to remove the streaking/hit spots?
And how did you get water spots already on the fender in the pic?

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Have you tried polishing by hand with an AIO or cleaner-wax to remove the streaking/hit spots?
And how did you get water spots already on the fender in the pic?

Yeah I apologize for the dirty appearance of my car. I don't have a garage that's why it's always dirty and hence why I wanted to opti-coat my car. After the cure process I wanted to see how well the opti-coat worked and sprayed some water onto it. (Therefore the water marks) The beading was alright, but wasn't as impressed compared to youtube videos of opticoats water reactions.

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Oh and further information, I opticoated my car at my friends house since he has a garage. No I didn't opticoat in direct sunlight. lol. Don't think I'm that stupid.

Chris Thomas
05-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I've had that exact thing happen to me a couple of times...and the good news is that its easy to fix It was from waiting just a bit too long to wipe a area that was too thick off. That's towel marks as it was starting to set up. You should be able to make a few light passes by hand with a finish polish or an AIO and they will clear right up. If you don't have any, I will send you a sample size of Poli Seal for your project. 4oz will be plenty to resolve your issue. PM me if you need more help.

Rsurfer
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
What did you do to prep the paint before applying OC?
Yeah I apologize for the dirty appearance of my car. I don't have a garage that's why it's always dirty and hence why I wanted to opti-coat my car. After the cure process I wanted to see how well the opti-coat worked and sprayed some water onto it. (Therefore the water marks) The beading was alright, but wasn't as impressed compared to youtube videos of opticoats water reactions.

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 03:51 PM
What did you do to prep the paint before applying OC?

I washed with ONR and clay barred the paint. Then I IPA wiped and then put on opticoat.

Rsurfer
05-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Sounds like you did it right. Sorry your not impressed with OC.
I washed with ONR and clay barred the paint. Then I IPA wiped and then put on opticoat.