PDA

View Full Version : Can a power washer damage paint?

kimtt
05-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Has a customer car front hood paint peeled off in about 3x3 inch after power washer focus at close range trying to remove bird poo, we have been using this method on thousands of cars and this is the first time I encounter this happen. Is it due to paint problem or was it caused by my power washer pressure?

Flash Gordon
05-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Has a customer car front hood paint peeled off in about 3x3 inch after power washer focus at close range trying to remove bird poo, we have been using this method on thousands of cars and this is the first time I encounter this happen. Is it due to paint problem or was it caused by my power washer pressure?

You pretty much answered your own question. Yes, a pressure washer can remove paint :idea:

BobbyG
05-20-2012, 08:01 AM
My power washer produces 2800psi which with the right tip can cut like a knife, especially if I've gotten to close with it.

I suspect some of the blame here is the result of poor surface preparation between the sub-straight or primer caused the color coat not to bond fully thus resulting in what you describe.

Power Washers are in a word; powerful and can do damage very quickly. You'd be surprised at how many injuries occur each year by using them to rinse off hands and fingers. They'll cut right through flesh line butter...

Flash Gordon
05-20-2012, 08:05 AM
My power washer produces 2800psi which with the right tip can cut like a knife, especially if I've gotten to close with it.

I suspect some of the blame here is the result of poor surface preparation between the sub-straight or primer caused the color coat not to bond fully thus resulting in what you describe.

Power Washers are in a word; powerful and can do damage very quickly. You'd be surprised at how many injuries occur each year by using them to rinse off hands and fingers. They'll cut right through flesh line butter...

My friend was telling me they had someone come in the other day with a nail in their eyeball

Power Tools should be respected

Beavis
05-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Yes you have to be very careful with pressure cleaners on a car surface. Especially when cleaning a car that might have been painted before or a car where the paint had no bonded good. I remember a long time ago me and my brother inlaw took his car to one of the drive in car washes where they supply there own guns and stuff and he started spraying off his hood and ALL the paint came off(is was painted before) and the owner can out a kicked us out for making a big mess...LOL.. My pressure cleaner I use is a 4000psi cleaner but when doing cars I turn the pressure way down and don't stay to close to the surface and I have never had a problem in the 7 years of using one.

Buff-N-Glo
05-20-2012, 09:15 AM
^^I've had the same thing happen to me, always hold the wand far away from any painted surfaces. I know the pressure washer makes it easy to take bugs off, but you have to find another way to do it. There's no need to risk having to dish out $400 on brand new paint...

swanicyouth
05-20-2012, 10:19 AM
It's half and half. Poorly adheared clear coat, being blown off by high pressure water. It's nobody's "fault", now you just need to come up with an acceptable solution. I can watch the clear coat fly off in little pieces when I hit my BMW wheels with a pressure washer close enough (getting them powder coated in a week) - that car is a 2008. On my 2001 Pathfinder, the wheel clear coat is still perfect, as it's a much higher quality job from the factory.