PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Reputable Detailer (Opt-Guard/ Opti-Coat)

lmaobus
05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
I recently Opti-Coated my car with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. There are several high spots and overall I was not too happy about the whole application and want it re-done. I was curious how do I find a detailer that is reputable and could possibly remove my Opti-Coat 2.0 and re-apply Optimum Opti-Guard or Opti-Coat onto my car. I was also wondering how much this would possibly cost. I live in NJ. It was a new car too.

poweraid
05-20-2012, 06:58 AM
first of all I'm no opti coat pro . I have used it , no probs no high spots. as far as I know u do not have to fully remove and reapply . u just need to knock down the high spots with a fine polish or poliseal and u be all good . would have been easier if u knocked it down right away when u applied with a simple buff of mf towel, now that it has flashed/cured some u will need to go the other route . . abrasion is the only way to remove opticoat. using a fine polish by hand just to get the high spots . u can even layer opticoat if u want, no need to remove . under direction for the time it has set u can simply layer it or it will need to be lightly polished-scuffed before hand .
opticoat users chime in give this guy a hand .

ShaunD
05-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Are you just not happy with the high spots you see, or are there other issues with the finish and OC2.0 that you see? What prep/polishing did you do before the application?
Like poweraid stated, you don't need to recoat the whole vehicle. Just level the high spots with a very fine polish like OPT Finish Polish, or AIO like OPT Poli-Seal. You can do this by hand or DA if you are leveling most of the car. Then you can reapply OC or touchup spots you are concerned with.
If for some reason I find my way to NJ from VA in the near future I will drop a line to see if you still need help.

lmaobus
05-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Are you just not happy with the high spots you see, or are there other issues with the finish and OC2.0 that you see? What prep/polishing did you do before the application?
Like poweraid stated, you don't need to recoat the whole vehicle. Just level the high spots with a very fine polish like OPT Finish Polish, or AIO like OPT Poli-Seal. You can do this by hand or DA if you are leveling most of the car. Then you can reapply OC or touchup spots you are concerned with.
If for some reason I find my way to NJ from VA in the near future I will drop a line to see if you still need help.

There are a few high spots that I see and there are a lot of holograms. I believe it's because of the method my friends and I used for opticoat. Instead of using the applicator pad, we wrapped a dispensable shop towel (the blue ones) around it and used that instead.

I prepped the car by washing/ claying. The car is new so I didn't polish it by DA (neither do I have one accessible right now as my friend's PC broke).

Do you think the holograms were caused because of the shop towel being wrapped around the applicator pad?

I'm just not too happy because this is a new car.

Jomax
05-20-2012, 01:29 PM
There are a few high spots that I see and there are a lot of holograms. I believe it's because of the method my friends and I used for opticoat. Instead of using the applicator pad, we wrapped a dispensable shop towel (the blue ones) around it and used that instead.

I prepped the car by washing/ claying. The car is new so I didn't polish it by DA (neither do I have one accessible right now as my friend's PC broke).

Do you think the holograms were caused because of the shop towel being wrapped around the applicator pad?

I'm just not too happy because this is a new car.

The opti coat didn't make the holograms. You dealer installed swirl marks

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online