PDA

View Full Version : You ever want to help OTC shoppers?

Pages : [1] 2

Jomax
05-19-2012, 10:12 PM
I was just at autozone and I see this guy just looking at all the tire and wheel cleaners. There's so many so he sat there for about a minute. Finally he decides on Armor all (extreme)
Tire cleaner......:(. Any of you guys help people decide?? Was going to recommend Mothers tire cleaner, but I didn't wana make him feel like he doesn't know anything about detailing.( most likely doesn't:))

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

AutowerxDetailing
05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
I've tried a couple times, never got any business from it. The other day at Fred Meyer I stocked up on a bunch of stuff (they were having buy 2 get 1 free on all car care). I got a few looks as I cleared the shelf of Megs claybar kits. When I was there I tried talking to a guy about cleaning his rubber trim for a few minutes. We discussed IPA dilutions a little bit and then he grabbed a bottle of something from Turtle Wax... I just walked away.

rider9195
05-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Geez we all think alike. I am always tempted to tell someone about how good a certain product is and all that good stuff. Never done it though.

IOMCAMARO
05-19-2012, 10:42 PM
I did when I worked at Walmart lol. I worked in the toy department and I went over there a lot to return stuff. Ppl always asked me if I owned my own business. At the time I didn't. If only if only lol.

Jomax
05-19-2012, 10:44 PM
I've tried a couple times, never got any business from it. The other day at Fred Meyer I stocked up on a bunch of stuff (they were having buy 2 get 1 free on all car care). I got a few looks as I cleared the shelf of Megs claybar kits. When I was there I tried talking to a guy about cleaning his rubber trim for a few minutes. We discussed IPA dilutions a little bit and then he grabbed a bottle of something from Turtle Wax... I just walked away.

I though he would do the same to me. He also grabbed a California duster with the tire cleaner. I think he read the label and saw it say (does not scratch. In his head he's thinking gee I don't need to wash my truck! Just wipe all the dust and dirt off!

Jomax
05-19-2012, 10:45 PM
I did when I worked at Walmart lol. I worked in the toy department and I went over there a lot to return stuff. Ppl always asked me if I owned my own business. At the time I didn't. If only if only lol.

Walmart shoppers are the Worst.

Billand
05-19-2012, 11:23 PM
I worked at an auto parts store for the past year and also detail as a side job people would ask what I thought of products then buy turtle wax or armor all. Because they have been around forever.

Kaiser37
05-19-2012, 11:24 PM
I've thought about doing it, but not for the business, just to help a fellow car guy. :)

Jomax
05-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I worked at an auto parts store for the past year and also detail as a side job people would ask what I thought of products then buy turtle wax or armor all. Because they have been around forever.

I can't seem to get my Dad from that. He keeps telling me I need to use turtle wax rubbing compound and the stuff I use wont work. Also why am I using foam pads?? Back when I was young we had the foam to hold bonnets and just change them out...with an orbital(wax spreader) I then keep trying to tell him you worked on single stage. It's kind of different then CC. Still doesn't think so. Oh well.

Spiney
05-20-2012, 12:45 AM
I've done it now that I've gained knowledge from here. Especially when people think Turtlewax is the best. I'm not selling anything or trying to impress anyone, just trying to help someone with what is not common knowledge.

poweraid
05-20-2012, 05:41 AM
I don't mind helping someone out . guess it kinda depends on the person . start talking about this and that . pitch in a little wow factor and maybe I land myself a little work . I do get some people talking to me at the wash bay .( live in apartment so gotta visit wash bay for traditional wash) . I get weird looks as I'm using 2 buckets and spraying something on my truck as I'm drying with mf towels . I just point them in the right direction to properly wash and dry the vehicle .

dwlinc23
05-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Turtle Wax, :laughing: BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA :laughing:

Bill1234
05-20-2012, 07:54 AM
I feel that walmart shoppers are the worst lol. Everybody stands around and does not know what to get. I usually just walk in and pick out whats good and leave. I sometimes have told people what to stay away from, but they are usually people who have just started with car care

Flash Gordon
05-20-2012, 08:03 AM
I don't bother trying to help the ppl who look confused. I tried that once before and it didn't work

BobbyG
05-20-2012, 08:07 AM
For some reason I find girls / women easier to help than their male counterparts. They are generally getter listeners and seem generally grateful I helped.....:props: