PDA

View Full Version : Polishing chrome

CLipster
05-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I am using some mothers chrome polish to polish chrome running bars and the exhaust tips.

My situation is I did use a fine steel wool to help a little. I did notice that it did take the mirror look away and it ended with a dull finish.

Can I get that mirror look back or what do I need to do to get it back?

Thanks for any help.

forrest@mothers
05-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Once you've damaged chrome you're not going to restore it.

The only proper course is to have them replated.

Mobile detail
05-19-2012, 09:53 PM
That blows. I know some people say go ahead and use steel wool on chrome, but unless its super dirty and you change the wool often, I won't use it.

The only thing you could try for S&Giggles is going m105/m205 with a rotary and trying to bring it back that way and finish with something like optimum metal polish *which I love by the way it does have mild abrasives*. Do you have any pics?

Vegas Transplant
05-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Once you've damaged chrome you're not going to restore it.

The only proper course is to have them replated.

:props:

CLipster
05-20-2012, 11:52 AM
That blows. I know some people say go ahead and use steel wool on chrome, but unless its super dirty and you change the wool often, I won't use it.

The only thing you could try for S&Giggles is going m105/m205 with a rotary and trying to bring it back that way and finish with something like optimum metal polish *which I love by the way it does have mild abrasives*. Do you have any pics?

No pics, but I did just did a small test spot and stopped after not seeing any good results.

Agfan
05-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah steel wool and chrome= bad.