PDA

View Full Version : Am I a hack?

Pages : [1] 2

mattk
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
So I detailed my cousins black c63 amg the other day, The car had lots of fine scratches from constant drive through car washes

I was working with my 7424xp orange pad, did a test spot with #3 speed 5 slow movement at about 1inch per second and it did not pull the scratches and swirls out fully. I was very apprehensive to go to #4, but I did and it did the job better than #3.. Anyway I finished it with Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze, it removed the slight haze caused by #4 and it looked good, but even still the car wash scratches did not come out all the way. When the finishing glaze wears will it not be pretty? Should I go back over it with #2? Input would be helpful.
I don't want to be a hack.. :awman:
Thanks
matt

Picture below (note car has clear bra on bumper hood etc.)
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/579819_331151606956643_305688269502977_807124_1942 801578_n.jpg

arack
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM
This car looks really good. Great job.

slickooz
05-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Car looks great! Depends how much time and effort you want to spend on the car, if your doing it for free/practice. What ever the glazed hid, it will eventually come back after couple washes. Glazes are usually used if the customers don't want to pay for corrections. It's just going fill in the swirls and stuff until it wears off. If your cousin is paying you for corrections then I would tackle it with at least a two step. M105 and M205 is what most people reach for, but there are other brands that works just as well if not better.

david11g35
05-18-2012, 06:02 PM
looks good to me. Its nearly impossible to keep a black car without some kinda swirls even with proper wash method. eventually it will get some swirls. so dont worry about it. the car looks great

rwisejr
05-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Big question is he going to be taking it back through the carwashes or maintaing it properly? If he isn't going to maintain it properly then what you have done is good enough . As it will be back looking the way it did in no time.

BobbyG
05-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Matt,

If you're a hack then I'll guarantee you'll have a line of followers a mile long behind you!!

This is a great example of taking your time with some basic products and fine tuning to achieve your goals....:props:

Very nice job indeed Matt!! :dblthumb2:

mattk
05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, basically xmt #4 is as heavy as m105. Will I have inflicted haze and marring from not finishing it down with #2 or another fine polish? I got confused with the glaze and thought I could use it as a final polish. Now I understand them..He wants me to go over the trunk by the liscenes plate again, so should I go over the car with a #2 or final polish to be sure I correct the haze and marring if any was left.

And yes.. He will be taking it through the car wash. He has one of those "unlimited self destruct your paint passes "

Flash Gordon
05-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Big question is he going to be taking it back through the carwashes or maintaing it properly? If he isn't going to maintain it properly then what you have done is good enough . As it will be back looking the way it did in no time.

:iagree:

mjlinane
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm with Bobby - if you ask that question about yourself, you aren't. You may not have reached the highest levels yet, but you have left hackdom behind.

AutowerxDetailing
05-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys, basically xmt #4 is as heavy as m105. Will I have inflicted haze and marring from not finishing it down with #2 or another fine polish? I got confused with the glaze and thought I could use it as a final polish. Now I understand them..He wants me to go over the trunk by the liscenes plate again, so should I go over the car with a #2 or final polish to be sure I correct the haze and marring if any was left.

And yes.. He will be taking it through the car wash. He has one of those "unlimited self destruct your paint passes "

I've never used xmt #4 but if it as heavy as m105 it will leave hazing on black paint if not followed with m205 or whatever type of swirl remover polish you prefer. I just did a black AMG CL55 today, man they have hard clear coat... m205 did NOTHING. Had to go with m105 on cyan HT and follow with m105 on tangerine HT.

Don't worry though, the scratches from the unlimited drive-through car washes will cover those buffer trails right up!

PS the car looks great! You aint no hack!

BorisC
05-18-2012, 09:09 PM
I would think #3 would do the trick. Did you work the #3 until it was translucent? This way you know it's completely broken down. Then go over w/ #1 the same way. Out of curiosity, what pad did you use w/ #4?

If trying something and not getting the results you want, then asking questions and learning how to improve upon the results makes you a hack, then there are plenty of detailers out there that should aspire to be a hack. The car looks good in the pics.

Here are some vids using XMT (if you haven't seen them). They seem to work the polish a long time (4 or 5 minutes) w/ very slow movement.
Autogeek.net Intermediate Swirl Removal (http://www.auto-geek.net/video/Intermediate_swirl_removal.html)

Mike Phillips & Matt Steele - How To Detail Your Car with Pinnacle XMT - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/embed/d7ARg3rRhm0?rel=0)

SON1C
05-18-2012, 09:09 PM
one he will probably never notice as us detailers forget how meticulous we've become (striving for perfection)

Be honest, nothings better than honesty today, and theres not enough of it, just let him know you what you could, and your estimated correction ex. 90%, and that as the product wears off some imperfections will reappear

most importantly help him understand that he needs to properly take care of his vehicle and how to do it ///the basics

mattk
05-18-2012, 10:59 PM
To be safe, I think I am going to go over it with a fine polish, since theoretically the carnuba glaze does nothing to refine that.

BorisC- As i said in my first post#3 was not strong enough, car wash scratches still very noticeable and swirls still present after doing slow multiple section passes with an orange pad on the 7424xp.

oldmodman
05-19-2012, 01:59 AM

If you were doing this car for yourself it would be worth it to go over the paint with a softer pad and a finer polish, then maybe even do a third step to jewel the finish.

But if he is going to be going through the "Tunnel of Ruin" why bother. The car already looks better than he deserves.

Setec Astronomy
05-19-2012, 02:50 AM
I don't think you can be a hack unless you are charging.