PDA

View Full Version : New or Classic?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mcpp66
05-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, I sold my black 2010 Camaro today. I'll miss having a Camaro, but not the one I had. I let the price of a 2SS back me down and get the 2LT. Having the V6 and not the V8 bothered me too much so I figured the sooner I dump this one the sooner I'll be able to get what I want. So, what do you guys think? Should I go new or classic? I could get a 69 Firebird (not with the original parts) at a very affordable price or I could go with a new Camaro 2SS. I would guess that the new car would be able to smoke the old classic, but there's just something about the classics that can't be denied. The new car would probably be a lot less maintenance and probably cheaper in the end, but I guess the fun of a classic is tinkering with it. So, what are your opinions? Go with the brand new 2SS or with this classic Firebird?

1969 Pontiac Firebird 69 Firebird $24,900 - Legends Specialty Vehicles Indiana Pennsylvania 15701 (http://www.legendsspecialtyvehicles.com/1969-Pontiac-Firebird-69-Firebird-Indiana-Pennsylvania-15701/3843973)

brlukosk
05-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Classic = classy. Anyone would buy the new one. That's a lot of cash for an old ride though. Daily driver?

Setec Astronomy
05-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I couldn't do the 40-year old one...but that's just me.

mcpp66
05-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Classic = classy. Anyone would buy the new one. That's a lot of cash for an old ride though. Daily driver?

Really? I didn't think it was that much for a classic. No, it would not be a daily driver. I would baby it like I babied my former Camaro.

mcpp66
05-17-2012, 10:40 PM
I couldn't do the 40-year old one...but that's just me.

I'm struggling with that concept too.

Frenchie
05-17-2012, 11:51 PM
If it were me, I would buy a DD and build your own classic. Or if you have a DD, then put the money towards buying a relatively clean body and frame. Depending on how much you have, might even find a good one already on rollers. You will love and appreciate the car so much more that way. In the process, you will gain a ton of knowledge and accumulate a metric ton of new tools! Who doesnt like getting new tools?

BobbyG
05-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Today's Camaro possess a lot of its styling and looks from its 1969 predecessor. Now, a fully restored 1969 Camaro SS can run into some very big dollars but there are alternatives.

There are several companies that offer kit cars and for the most part much better than the ones produced in 1969 just due to technology.

As an example: Camaro Parts | 1969 | 1969 CAMARO COUPE UNIBODY WITH FIREWALL CUTOUTS FOR HEATER ONLY | Classic Industries (http://www.classicindustries.com/camaro/parts/3196963.html)

It's really depends on your goal and what you ultimately want to spend but the two will meet I can guarantee you that....:props:

okleyguy
05-18-2012, 08:16 AM
I have Both and they both have there place. I have a 06 C6 Black with a few goodies on it. A great car for getting out on the Highway and running to the US about 2 hours away for 20 cases of beer. :dblthumb2:this car has all the creature comforts one could want and gets a few looks. :props:

I also have a 61 Ford Falcon with a blown small block chevy with NOS making well over 650 HP that will smoke any new car on the planet. This car costs me about $40 and hour in fuel and that if your just idoling around takes allot of work to keep it looking and running great. But if it's shock factor your looking for the classics have it all the way. :applause:

What ever you choose both are fun. :dblthumb2:

Klasse Act
05-18-2012, 08:38 AM
I have Both and they both have there place. I have a 06 C6 Black with a few goodies on it. A great car for getting out on the Highway and running to the US about 2 hours away for 20 cases of beer. :dblthumb2:this car has all the creature comforts one could want and gets a few looks. :props:

I also have a 61 Ford Falcon with a blown small block chevy with NOS making well over 650 HP that will smoke any new car on the planet. This car costs me about $40 and hour in fuel and that if your just idoling around takes allot of work to keep it looking and running great. But if it's shock factor your looking for the classics have it all the way. :applause:

What ever you choose both are fun. :dblthumb2:

I'd get a new one and make it your own, that "tinkering" thing is overated IMO but then again, I'm not a wrench either. There's so much out there to make it your own, why not go that route. That Firebird is nice though, even though its an auto.

"Smoke any new car on the planet".........guess they don't have GT-R's or ZR!'s on your planet I take it:laughing: I'm suire its fast, especially in such a light car, but I abide by the saying "You can beat 10 cars out there and there's 10 cars that can beat you!", just sayin'. What trans and rearend ratio does the Falcon have?

mcpp66
05-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm leaning towards new because I'm thinking that a new car is not going to require as much maintenance as a classic, but damn are those classic cars hot! I have no idea which direction I'm going to go though.

Mike Phillips
05-18-2012, 08:53 AM
I'd go with the classic. It's a car you can work on and enjoy.

Anywhere you go you'll put a smile on everyone's face and strike up conversations, with the new one it will look like all the other new ones driving around or in the parking lot.

The classic will hold it's value and the new one will go down in value. It's nice to be able to pop the hood and do even simple things yourself.

We had a very nice 1969 Firebird Convertible on our TV show this year...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Day%203%20Filming/DSCN0564.JPG

:)

flamed03vert
05-18-2012, 08:57 AM
For comfort and reliability the newer muscle wins every time. As far as head turning, nostaglia, ease of repair/maintenance and future collectability the classic wins hands down

mcpp66
05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd go with the classic. It's a car you can work on and enjoy.

Anywhere you go you'll put a smile on everyone's face and strike up conversations, with the new one it will look like all the other new ones driving around or in the parking lot.

The classic will hold it's value and the new one will go down in value. It's nice to be able to pop the hood and do even simple things yourself.

We had a very nice 1969 Firebird Convertible on our TV show this year...

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too. I just need to figure out what I want more....less maintenance and stylish looks, or a true classic with more maintenance.

Mike Phillips
05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too. I just need to figure out what I want more....less maintenance and stylish looks, or a true classic with more maintenance.

If you get the classic and after driving it for a while change your mind it will be easy to sell for the price you want because it will hold it's value and classic muscle cars are the rage and will always have a strong demand.

If you get the new car, except for extraordinary circumstances, you'll never get back what you paid for it.

Classic cars are collectible, modern cars are for the most part disposable. Sure there are exceptions but after buying and driving a "new" car for a few years, down the road most people get to the point where it will cost more to maintain the once new car than it will to simply trade it in and start the cycle over again.

At least that's what I see...

If you do get the classic, get it with the intention of driving it as your daily driver. If you make it your garage queen you'll likely tire of storing and paying for it and sell it and buy a new car.

I was in a position to trade an excellent running Honda in, (while it was still running excellent), and get the newest version. Instead, I opted for a classic with only 56,000 miles on it and it became my new daily driver.

This is my best friend Brian's 1956 Cream Puff T-Bird next to my 1959 Flattop Cadillac
http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/CaddyAndTbird.jpg

Car show in Lebanon, Oregon
http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/1959Flattop02.jpg

I sold the Flattop when I moved to California to take a job with Meguiar's as I had too many cars including a 1959 Cadillac that I just installed a 468 Big Block Chevy into plus my 1966 Milk Truck. Had I not moved to California I would have kept it as it was a real cream puff.

1959 Cadillac with a 468 BBC and Turbo 400
http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/CaddyWinter2006a.jpg

mcpp66
05-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Beautiful cars man! I think what you just described happened to me. I bought that Camaro and made it my garage queen. It became more of a headache than a joy. I was so worried about rock chips and swirls and wanting to maintain its value. Plus, I was not happy with it being a V6. I let the price of the 2SS back me down at the time. Whatever I get I'm going to make sure I enjoy driving it and will drive for more than just 500 miles a year.