PDA

View Full Version : Clean Poli-Coat Out of HT Pads?

AutowerxDetailing
05-17-2012, 09:47 PM
So, I finally got to try out the DP Poli-Coat that was on BoGo last week. I must say it lays down very thin and is amazingly easy to buff off. The gloss is pretty decent (sorry, no after pics because my cell phone died mid-job).

Anyway I tried cleaning the sealant out of my LC HT crimson pad when I got home and it wasn't coming out at all. I decided to let it soak over night (face down so the backing didn't get wet) in the sink with some APC and a tiny bit of dish soap. In the morning I tried scrubbing the rest of the sealant out with a brush. Not happening.

Long story short I gave up and now have a dedicated sealant pad.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_20120517_170230.jpg

Do you all have any tips on how to clean this stuff out of foam pads?

rider9195
05-17-2012, 09:58 PM
I find you must attempt to clean the sealant out right after use. I got quite a few uses out of my sealant pad before it got firmer.

LegacyGT
05-17-2012, 09:58 PM
I have had some good success with BlackFire APC in getting Optimum Poli-seal out of pads which IMO is one of the most difficult to clean out.

BobbyG
05-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Cleaning them right after the job's complete is the best way to remove the majority of the product from the foam. Occasionally, I'll spray some mineral spirits on the pad to soften and dissolve the product then wash as usual.....

Halverso_99
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
I too had the same issue with the poli-coat that I got from bogo. Used it on a red ultra soft flat pad and have now washed it thoroughly three times and there is still residue...

Mike Phillips
05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
If you can't get it out of the pad and you're trying to get it out of the pad... what's that say about how it's going to perform on your car's paint?

Cleaning wax and sealant out of buffing pads is normally hard because these products are not meant to be water soluble and some are detergent resistant. So everything is working against you.

:)

Halverso_99
05-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Well that makes it a positive thing and a negative thing. :)

AutowerxDetailing
05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
If you can't get it out of the pad and you're trying to get it out of the pad... what's that say about how it's going to perform on your car's paint?

Cleaning wax and sealant out of buffing pads is normally hard because these products are not meant to be water soluble and some are detergent resistant. So everything is working against you.

:)

LOL yeah that's true. It does make me feel nice knowing this stuff is going to be pretty much impervious to water, dawn, purple power, laundry soap, simple green and I can't even remember what else I tried to clean it out. That's some awesome protection for my customer's paint!!!

bmwgalore
05-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Have you tried XMT Pad Cleaner along with a brush and terry cloth towel?

Spray, spray, spray.. Brush, brush, brush... Scrub, scrub, scrub.

It works fairly well to remove M21 Sealant from my Blue Finessing pads, but it must be done immediately after you're done with the pad.