PDA

View Full Version : I have a 6' MVP Orbital Buffer

hondacare
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I know that PC is a popular buffer, but at the time those things are expensive. Wondering if my 6' MVP hand buffer will suffice. Any tips on using one that is not a Porter Cable? I need 6' pads any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using AG Online

Mike Phillips
05-17-2012, 03:32 PM
We call those, "Wax Spreaders"

If the paint on your car is in excellent condition and all you want to do is spread out a coating of wax, then they work pretty good.

If you want to remove swirls out of a clear coat finish they are not very effective and you can usually do more removal work by hand than by machine.

You can try, maybe use some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a terry cloth bonnet for removing swirls and move it very slowly over the surface with some firm downward pressure.

See my article here,

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html)

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/794/WaxSpreader02.jpg

:)

hondacare
05-17-2012, 04:05 PM
What are my economical alternative?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Your best bet is to get into a PC or equivalent.

david79z28
05-17-2012, 04:23 PM
What are my economical alternative?

Really depends on your definition of economical.

You might want to look into the polisher combo kits. You can save money on accesories you will need anyway.

Looks like you can get free shipping now on orders over $125.

Still going to cost some money but you can save a lot now....

steve swafford
05-17-2012, 06:20 PM
i used the mvp buffer for about 3 years,Mike is right on with his comments, it's really hard to get much correction with it i used megs compound and polish also xmt 360 aio go slow and apply as much pressure as you can it wont take much to stop the buffer.

I saved enough money to buy the griots and the megs microfiber system they are great.

Like Mike said,i still use the mvp to spread wax it does a good job at that,having both comes in handy.

Alex22
05-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Definately get griots i was in the same pickle a while ago even put up similar posts/threads. Main selling points were lifetime warranty and more torque.