PDA

View Full Version : Best compound for use in the sun?

wgilles
05-17-2012, 10:31 AM
I've always had clients who had garages I could work in, but I'm getting some new clients in a new area where garaged houses are commonplace. I typically use Megs 105/205 to compound vehicles, but I don't want to use these in the sun. Anyone have any recommendations for compounds that are effective when used in the sun and could deliver good results like 105/205 does?

Thanks in advance

rddmxmeth10
05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
I've always had clients who had garages I could work in, but I'm getting some new clients in a new area where garaged houses are commonplace. I typically use Megs 105/205 to compound vehicles, but I don't want to use these in the sun. Anyone have any recommendations for compounds that are effective when used in the sun and could deliver good results like 105/205 does?

Thanks in advance

Poorboys. Their products actually work better in the sun than in the shade. All of the SSR line are pretty good products and it is amazing how well they work in the sun!

Agfan
05-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Compound absolutely not. Some say you can but i never had any luck doing that.Your asking for swirls and hazin out the as$. One reason i stop doing moble detailing.There are some polishes you can use.

rddmxmeth10
05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Poorboy's World Master Cut Super Cut Compound, Poorboys World compound polish (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-master-cut-compound.html)

Here is a compound from them. I personally have never used it, but I have used all their other lines of products and am a HUGE believer in their products!

wgilles
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Poorboys. Their products actually work better in the sun than in the shade. All of the SSR line are pretty good products and it is amazing how well they work in the sun!

I was thinking about PB, but I've never used their compounds. Would be a worth a try I guess

Compound absolutely not. Some say you can but i never had any luck doing that.Your asking for swirls and hazin out the as$. One reason i stop doing moble detailing.There are some polishes you can use.

I guess I'll never know if I don't try it. I have a car I can practice on, so I'll have to try it out and see how things work

Poorboy's World Master Cut Super Cut Compound, Poorboys World compound polish (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-master-cut-compound.html)

Here is a compound from them. I personally have never used it, but I have used all their other lines of products and am a HUGE believer in their products!

Thanks, I'll try it out

DRT BRD
05-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Meguiars D300 and their MF system works well in the sun. :props:

wgilles
05-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Meguiars D300 and their MF system works well in the sun. :props:

Good to know, thank you!

BobbyG
05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Will,

Sunlight is more often than not, not the issue, it's the surface temperature of the panel.

Surface temperature rather than sunlight is the culprit at how it effects our detailing products.

Here's an article I found on how color affects surface temperature...

"The outside air temperature was approximately 80 degrees F. At 2:15pm just after measuring the cars, the pavement in the sun measured 111 degrees, shaded pavement was 72 degrees, a shaded white cinder block wall was 68 degrees, and a shaded metal wall was 73 degrees. So this is a typical warm but not unreasonably hot day."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/statusicon/wol_error.gif

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/ColorvsTemp.jpg

Now, I always knew that a black finish was much hotter than white but personally had no idea the temperature extremes were so great.

Mid 90's is about as warm I'm comfortable to work in both personally and where I feel it affects the products performance.

If you find yourself doing a lot of work in direct sun during the heat of the day then it might be a good idea to invest in a canopy as sot of portable shade. They're portable, set up easily, and cost is minimal. May here use them and make a lot of sense to me....

This about it but in parallel investigate some of the products that can be used in direct sunlight...

wgilles
05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks Bobby. I'll look into the canopy as well.