PDA

View Full Version : Collonite Fleet Wax - Yay or Nay

Bates Detailing
05-16-2012, 11:39 PM
All right guys - used this wax for the first time the other day and I must say that it is by far the hardest product to take off after hazing from my experience! Does this mean that it is that hardcore at protecting?!?!? I applied thin coats as mentioned and MAN I couldn't do too much of a section out of fear of it not coming off lol. Is the protection worth it to you guys?!?!?!? If it protects like it says it does it may very well be worth the hassle - BUT does it protect for an amazing amount of time?

Bates Detailing
05-17-2012, 01:11 AM
no experience out there with this wax?!?!?!

Hoytman
05-17-2012, 01:33 AM
I spoke with a man last weekend up at Lake Erie that makes his living as a top notch boat mechanic. This shop does boat detailing as well. You could eat off of the floors in this guys shop, and he stays cram packed with business. Works on a ton of big water fishing boats as well as very large and high performance speed boats...I'm talkin' 30-60 footers with $100,000 paint jobs. That's right, six figure paint jobs. This guy has every certification for engine maintenance that there is, and they're all on the wall. Top notch mechanic, detailer, business man, and friend...and I'm a customer.

I talked to him about what he used when he buffed out boats. He said there's several items to use, but that he most often uses Buff Magic (pink, and white oem version) and Collinite 845 and/or Collinite 885 Fleetwax, either one. In fact, he really talked up how good Buff Magic is.

I used some M67 One Step Compound, 2 coats of Opti-seal, and 845 this past weekend on my dad's boat. It turned out great, but still have the inside to do. I'm certain a polishing step could have improved it slightly, but it turned out great as it was. The 845 really made it pop.

The first coat of opti-seal took quite sometime to completely dry and cure. However, the second coat was gone in about 20 minutes which really surprised me. What didn't surprise me, because I'd witnessed it before, was that the second coat goes on sooooo smooth as compared to the first. That 845 was what put it over the edge though. The combination should last a good amount of time.

I'm going to try some different things on the top-side though. One will be Buff Magic, and the 3M Super Duty. At some point I'd like to try the Ardex as well, if I can find a supplier.

As far as the Fleetwax, I plan on getting is asap. It may be the hardest to take off, which is stated on their website, but it's also the most durable of their marine waxes according to the same site. That said, with what I've seen of 845, and according to my business friend the Fleetwax can only improve upon the 845. If 885 is more durable, as I'm being told, then it will more than it will be the ticket.

EDIT:

I used W4000 wool pads, that linted like crazy, and low speed on my rotary since I'm not used to using one all the time. I wanted to try the higher speeds as you suggested, but was somewhat reluctant because of my inexperience. I did find out how important a spur is ,though I need to get one with a rubber handle. An aluminum handle turns your hands black.

Conan
05-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Collinite Fleet Wax = Collinite 476.

mwoolfso
05-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Fleet Wax is either 870 or 885. 476 is different. The formulas may be similar but I wouldn't know. I think with the 870 and 885's you need to begin removing once the wax begins to dry and not wait until it is dry. A simple call to Collinite will validate my perspective (maybe even the directions on the labels).

Conan
05-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Fleet Wax is either 870 or 885. 476 is different. The formulas may be similar but I wouldn't know. I think with the 870 and 885's you need to begin removing once the wax begins to dry and not wait until it is dry. A simple call to Collinite will validate my perspective (maybe even the directions on the labels).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/boat-rv-detailing/41130-collonite-marine-waxes.html#post542291

Per Collinite Products MSDS's:
845=925
915=915
870=ss126
840=920
73ss=146MW
476S=885=900=S238
855=855
850=850

Jomax
05-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Did anyone try FK1000p? I plan on putting two coats. The weather here will really put it to the test. If it can survive here, it can survive anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online