PDA

View Full Version : dust

Pages : [1] 2 3

cpa5oh
05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I wash my black car weekly (hose wash) and faithfully put some kind of wax or sealant on it (probably once a month.) I get, at max, one day before the car is noticeably covered with dust/light dirt particles. And if there is dew in the morning that mixes the dust up and makes the car look downright dirty. Makes me not want to even wash the car - it'll look good for one day, not worth the hour it takes to do it. (I'm probably overstating that frustration - but you get the point.)

Does anybody do anything about dust in between washes? I've tried the waterless washes...can't help but feel like I'm wiping dust/light dirt particles across the paint and I see very light scratching immediately, especially on my hood. I just got a huge California Car Duster that looks like a big mop...but it leaves wax from the red fibers all over the car and it looks worse than with the dust on it.

AutowerxDetailing
05-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I feel your pain. My truck won't fit in our garage with all the crap we have piled in there (My wife's Kia; however, fits just fine... go figure) so I am in the same boat as you. Pollen and dust plague my paint and window trim even a few minutes after washing and drying.

Sometimes I will just take my pressure washer and spray off all the dust and pollen and then dry the whole vehicle quickly with my leaf blower. It's totally touchless and only takes a few minutes. It's not a true "wash" but it keeps the thing from looking ridiculous while it's parked in front of my house. I got a rep to uphold... can't be havin' neighbors walk by and seeing my car all ghetto.

wysiwyg
05-16-2012, 12:54 PM
I wash my black car weekly (hose wash) and faithfully put some kind of wax or sealant on it (probably once a month.) I get, at max, one day before the car is noticeably covered with dust/light dirt particles. And if there is dew in the morning that mixes the dust up and makes the car look downright dirty. Makes me not want to even wash the car - it'll look good for one day, not worth the hour it takes to do it. (I'm probably overstating that frustration - but you get the point.)

Does anybody do anything about dust in between washes? I've tried the waterless washes...can't help but feel like I'm wiping dust/light dirt particles across the paint and I see very light scratching immediately, especially on my hood. I just got a huge California Car Duster that looks like a big mop...but it leaves wax from the red fibers all over the car and it looks worse than with the dust on it.

I have a black car, and I definitely understand what you're talking about.

I use UWWP to maintain between ONR washes. I've been using ONR for years, and UWWP for over two months, and I have not noticed additional scratches. I do use a lot of UWWP and let it sit for about 20 to 30 seconds on each panel before I begin wiping. I use three to four microfiber towels when cleaning my car with UWWP.

With water restrictions in effect quite often in my area, a traditional wash is not an option. ONR and UWWP are my go to products for keeping my vehicles clean.

embolism
05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
even though there is dust on our black cars after a day, I bet you still get compliments about how clean it is.

my mechanic buddy who was changing my back rotors for me the other day complimented me on my paint even though the car hadn't been washed in a week and if you swiped your finger on it, you'd leave a dust trail. After I pointed that out, he was like, really? wow! then I had to stop him from touching it...

The trick is to not disturb the dust so everything looks uniform... haha

that all goes out the window if the car gets wet though...

Old Tiger
05-16-2012, 02:24 PM
You can minimize dust & pollen by coating your vehicle. I love Opti Coat and Element 119 System X. I hear great things about Car Pro Finest and CQuartz applies like a sealant. IME dust is gone @ 40 mph on my Black Ford. I boost with ReLoad or Permanon and it improves repellancy. A hose will remove almost all without anytthing else. This is what made me give up sealants and waxes. Try one and see..

gatoman39
05-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I went black and I came back. Never again. It was like having a second job. You need to trust the waterless wash, it works. Also the CDuster works but you have to be super carefull using it and the car has to be dry and totally waxed. (also you need to lay the CD on some news paper to leach out the waxes before you use it) Some people have used a leaf blower or master blaster. At the end of the day, black is awesome, when it's clean for 5 minutes, otherwise it's too much work.

Gotee7
05-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a black camaro. Beyond the fact you look at it and it gets swirls, keeping it clean is a PITA! Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Opti-coat and reload helps a ton.

wgilles
05-16-2012, 02:38 PM
I've come to terms with the fact that my car WILL get dirty from dust, pollen etc.

However, EVERYONE at work compliments on how clean my car looks even when I think it is very dusty. Keep up with the waxing and it will keep your car looking good even with a little bit of dust/pollen on it.

NickZ28
05-16-2012, 03:35 PM
My 2012 Camaro is Carbon Flash Metallic...basically black. California duster and some QD work fine for me.

Quattro3.2
05-16-2012, 03:44 PM
I have a black car, so I understand your frustration with keeping it clean. Black is terrible to keep up with, but when it is clean, it is the best color. I travel all the time, and my car spends more time in the airport lot than at my home. By the end of the week my car requires a wash. A simple wipe down with ONR doesnt cut it.

As far as keeping it clean between full washes, I always use some of the waterless wash microfibers from Griots and some ONR. I have never had swirls or scratches. Just make sure to use several and constaly fold over your towel. You should be good. I would look into Opticoat, people are saying great things. I am going to OC my car in the coming weeks. Hopefully that will help.

DeadlySheds
05-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I also feel your pain. My black truck is parked in an industrial area all day so dust buildup is brutal. Like others here, even when I find my truck looking dirty, my co workers still tease me about how clean it is.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

SkateForGirl
05-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I use a QD and a nice microfiber and get it all off.

panthercz
05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Try CQuartz or Opti-Coat 2.0 (CQuartz would be my pick to combat dust) and do NOT top either one with anything.

Flash Gordon
05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Its probally space dust. 50,000 tons a year falls to earth. Not much you can do to stop it

Old Tiger
05-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Try CQuartz or Opti-Coat 2.0 (CQuartz would be my pick to combat dust) and do NOT top either one with anything.
I wouldnt top with a wax or sealant. ReLoad and Permanon are different aninmals and they are not going to attract particulate. They really enhance Opti Guard IME.